#1 Jamie Johnson

Jamie Johnson

New

• Basic Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
  • Producer

Posted 18 October 2009 - 08:33 PM

I need to duplicate 7 Mini DV tapes we shot in HD with a Z1. Apparently Mini DV dubbing decks are very scarce and some other forums recommended using x2 cheap Mini DV camcorders do dupe the tapes via firewire.

I've read the technology is the same in the cameras as it would be in a deck but I want to confirm that I will not loose any picture quality by using low quality cameras to dupe the masters? The image capture quality comes from the lenses components not the recording hardware correct?

I'm looking at various camcorders like: Samsung SC-d382, sc-d372 etc.

Thanks,

Jamie

#2 Adrian Sierkowski

Adrian Sierkowski
  • Sustaining Members
  • 7117 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Los Angeles, Ca

Posted 18 October 2009 - 09:09 PM

And the recording heads in the camera...
Also, be careful, if you've got HDV, no way to know 100% a cheapo camera will record out to HDV. Why not just send the tapes out to a proper post house? It'll probably be a lot easier... and though not necessarily cheaper, save you the trouble and trial and error.

#3 Jamie Johnson

Jamie Johnson

New

• Basic Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
  • Producer

Posted 18 October 2009 - 09:23 PM

And the recording heads in the camera...
Also, be careful, if you've got HDV, no way to know 100% a cheapo camera will record out to HDV. Why not just send the tapes out to a proper post house? It'll probably be a lot easier... and though not necessarily cheaper, save you the trouble and trial and error.

Thanks for the reply Adrian.

The cheapest place I could find in Hollywood wanted $45 a tape. I figured if I could spend the same $300 and get a few cameras out of it for future dupes and for some other grainy shots (where quality isint priority) then great.

Even if I out source the duping how can I know the place is using the right gear for the HD dupes? It looks like that is the route I'm going to have to take.

Thank,

Jamie

#4 Adrian Sierkowski

Adrian Sierkowski
  • Sustaining Members
  • 7117 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Los Angeles, Ca

Posted 18 October 2009 - 09:34 PM

Well you should go to a reputable post house. but in general, its not good business to cut corners for a post house. Look outside of La as well, there are plenty of NY post houses as well as a few in Philadelphia, and others in major cities.

#5 Jamie Johnson

Jamie Johnson

New

• Basic Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
  • Producer

Posted 18 October 2009 - 09:47 PM

Well you should go to a reputable post house. but in general, its not good business to cut corners for a post house. Look outside of La as well, there are plenty of NY post houses as well as a few in Philadelphia, and others in major cities.

Thanks for the info. I will check them out. I don't want to ship them before duplicating them so I am stuck with LA. Our post production studio on the east coast can duplicate them, but I prefer to get it done here to avoid any disasters. We already had one disaster with these tapes.

Thanks again,

Jamie

Edited by Jamie Johnson, 18 October 2009 - 09:48 PM.

Visual Products

Glidecam

Media Blackout - Custom Cables and AKS

Broadcast Solutions Inc

CineLab

Tai Audio

Abel Cine

Opal

FJS International, LLC

CineTape

The Slider

Technodolly