Photo

K40 experts needed for documentary film project!

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 Dan Paola

Dan Paola
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts
  • Director
  • UK

Posted 20 October 2009 - 02:50 AM

Hello!

I am developing a documentary film project about that most ubiquitous of super-8 filmstocks, Kodachrome 40, and am seeking experts / devotees / willing participants who might be willing to contribute to this exciting project! At present I am aiming for 52-60 mins, to be shot primarily on HDCAM, but of course featuring masses of beautiful (and not-so-beautiful) K40 footage!

Although my primary focus will be around K40 in its super-8 format, I am also interested other Kodachrome incarnations, especially those with particularly 'familial' associations, (e.g. Kodachrome 35mm stills, exhibited as slides etc).

So, I'm after technical / historical experts (everything from manufacture to degradation), artistic devotees, and generally anyone with an interest in this unique stock who might be interested in contributing to this project. If you know of someone who might be able to help - please feel free to pass on this message or my email address etc - I'd really appreciate it!

My approach to this particular subject matter is somewhat unique, and definitely not a run-of-the-mill technologically-focused or social history flavoured doc!

More will be revealed to those who think they might like to contribute in some small way!

You can PM me here on Cinematography.com, or contact me by email at the following address:

k40.film@yahoo.co.uk

Thanks for reading & hope to hear from anyone who might be interested!

Dan

#2 andy oliver

andy oliver
  • Sustaining Members
  • 258 posts
  • Other
  • uk

Posted 20 October 2009 - 01:17 PM

Hi, i'm no expert, but i've filmed on kodachrome for 20 years, 8mm, super 8 and 16mm, messing with neg in the early 90s, and again when k25 was axed as at first i wasn't a great k40 fan. K25 looks better in daylight and appears to be sharper over k40. I may have a few suitable snipets of film ( if required ). How do you plan to transfer any cine kodachrome footage onto HDCAM?

Sounds like an amazing project.

The Slider

Opal

Paralinx LLC

Broadcast Solutions Inc

Willys Widgets

CineLab

rebotnix Technologies

CineTape

Technodolly

Aerial Filmworks

Metropolis Post