#1 Fuad zulkifli

Fuad zulkifli
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts
  • Grip
  • singapore

Posted 21 October 2009 - 08:50 PM

I'm shooting my school project ( Short film ) and i using Panasonic AG-HVX200 DVCPRO HD P2 Camcorder to shoot for my project. Any advice on which should i know about this camera?

#2 Chris Keth

Chris Keth
  • Sustaining Members
  • 4427 posts
  • 1st Assistant Camera
  • Los Angeles

Posted 21 October 2009 - 09:35 PM

Light well, it gets very noisy. It's also not good in low light, in part because of the noisiness.

#3 Saul Rodgar

Saul Rodgar
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1682 posts
  • Cinematographer

Posted 21 October 2009 - 10:40 PM

And whatever you do, get a good quality monitor. Judging focus on the evf / on board monitor is a bitch. The focus ring is a joke.

#4 Sean Ryan Finnegan

Sean Ryan Finnegan
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 26 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Los Angeles

Posted 30 October 2009 - 02:18 AM

And whatever you do, get a good quality monitor. Judging focus on the evf / on board monitor is a bitch. The focus ring is a joke.

I think it goes without saying but I've been wrong before. Make sure you have an assistant editor or DIT on set with a good laptop so that you can make the P2HD workflow as efficient and fast as it is supposed to be.

#5 Tim O'Connor

Tim O'Connor
  • Sustaining Members
  • 860 posts
  • Other
  • Boston, Massachusetts

Posted 02 November 2009 - 06:30 PM

Take advantage of the time lapse features, the overcranking, the undercranking, the opportunities
to adjust so many aspects of your shots with the all the options in the menu such as gamma choices,
color, color temperature, sharpness, detail. You can learn a lot by designing and storing some scene files on an SD card which you can put in the camera (different than P2 cards I mean something
SD cards.)

There are also several options for shooting in low light and reducing the noise by choosing certain gamma settings independently of what comes default with say Cine V or Cine D. Experiment and also search past threads and you'll find a lot of info..

The shot marker is a really useful feature to assign to a user button. You can mark takes about which you have concerns and later this makes it easier to review and delete those takes and free up P2
space. I've shot scenes with three, four pages of dialogue, well covered and had it all on one 8GB P2 card, which at 720P 24PN holds 20 minutes. You do have to commit to ditching certain takes but if you have the authority to do that and willingness to do so; it makes editing a lot easier when your whole scene is captured in say 20 minutes of raw footage. If you're shooting for somebody else or just dislike making those unchangeable decisions on set then bring some more cards.

Oh, if you have a situation when you would rather not bring a laptop but do need to offload at some point, you can go directly from camera acting as a P2 player via Firewire into a hard drive. This has been useful to me in many situations in which I have my hands full and not a lot of help and a location on which I'd rather not have to worry about a laptop too. Many people have told me that they haven't heard of this but it is in the manual that comes with the camera and that you can also find online in many places. Barry Green's book and DVDs are also excellent resources. Look for more info. in the HVX-200 forum on DVXuser.com too.

Willys Widgets

Media Blackout - Custom Cables and AKS

Technodolly

rebotnix Technologies

CineLab

Metropolis Post

Paralinx LLC

CineTape

Abel Cine

FJS International, LLC

Gamma Ray Digital Inc

Wooden Camera