#1 Nicholas Richter

Nicholas Richter

New

• Basic Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
  • Student

Posted 22 October 2009 - 04:20 AM

Looking to have that nice dust particle effect for a day time bedroom scene (Shooting HD). I know back lighting will help accentuate the dust. However, I'm not entirely sure if whatever dust is already present in the room will be enough; as I've never had any direct experience with this sort of effect. I was thinking of trying to supplement the dust with something else, anyone have any ideas? And any other lighting tips for this sort of thing are welcome, thanks!!

~Nick

#2 Chris Keth

Chris Keth
  • Sustaining Members
  • 4427 posts
  • 1st Assistant Camera
  • Los Angeles

Posted 22 October 2009 - 09:03 AM

Looking to have that nice dust particle effect for a day time bedroom scene (Shooting HD). I know back lighting will help accentuate the dust. However, I'm not entirely sure if whatever dust is already present in the room will be enough; as I've never had any direct experience with this sort of effect. I was thinking of trying to supplement the dust with something else, anyone have any ideas? And any other lighting tips for this sort of thing are welcome, thanks!!

~Nick

Whatever is there probably won't read on camera. You'll want to use a hazer to add just a little bit of haze to the scene. You're looking for less than what will be noticeable when it's not lit.

#3 John Sprung

John Sprung
  • Sustaining Members
  • 4635 posts
  • Other

Posted 22 October 2009 - 01:12 PM

The important thing isn't so much the direction of the light, but rather that the BG behind the dust be much darker. So, cross or back light works fine, the only thing you can't do is have light coming from near camera, as that would bring up the BG. Contrast between very bright dust and a very dark BG is your goal. Hard light and flags.....

-- J.S.

#4 Nicholas Richter

Nicholas Richter

New

• Basic Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
  • Student

Posted 22 October 2009 - 04:11 PM

Thanks guys! Appreciate the advice!

Visual Products

Willys Widgets