#1 Geovane Marquez

Geovane Marquez
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 78 posts
  • 2nd Assistant Camera
  • Los Angeles

Posted 27 October 2009 - 04:21 PM

Anyway, what if one day you have nothing to do and your driving down the road with your beat up pick-up truck, and you spot a crew on location filming something.

Is it disrespectful to pull up to the location and ask if they need any additional help?

#2 Tom Jensen

Tom Jensen
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1234 posts
  • Camera Operator
  • Dallas, TX

Posted 27 October 2009 - 05:09 PM

Anyway, what if one day you have nothing to do and your driving down the road with your beat up pick-up truck, and you spot a crew on location filming something.

Is it disrespectful to pull up to the location and ask if they need any additional help?

Hell no, do what you gotta do to get a job. They may need help and the perfect beat up pick up truck.

#3 Saul Rodgar

Saul Rodgar
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1682 posts
  • Cinematographer

Posted 27 October 2009 - 07:20 PM

Legend (or myth) has it that S. Spielberg got his start in movies that way. Except he reputedly didn't ask, just started unloading a truck or something. Most movie companies have on-site security so be careful how you approach it, though.

#4 Chris Millar

Chris Millar
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1642 posts
  • Other

Posted 27 October 2009 - 09:45 PM

Put yourself in their place ...

I mean it depends on your approach, type of shoot and the context of the moment at which you approach them.

Nothing left to say but good luck and perhaps learn to take rejection in your stride ;)

#5 Tom Jensen

Tom Jensen
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1234 posts
  • Camera Operator
  • Dallas, TX

Posted 27 October 2009 - 10:08 PM

Movie crews often give themselves a certain amount of self importance. They only have permission to do what the permit says they can do. For the most part the general public is just showing a little courtesy as opposed to obeying the orders of some kid with a walkie-talkie. They only have so much authority if any.

#6 Keith Walters

Keith Walters
  • Sustaining Members
  • 2219 posts
  • Other
  • Sydney Australia

Posted 28 October 2009 - 04:22 PM

I was the senior electronics engineer for Samuelsons Sydney (later Panavision Sydney) for 10 years. One day entirely by chance I stumbled on a large film crew shooting a movie at a beachside location. They were having trouble with their video assist system, all of which was equipment I had personally designed and built, and I knew exactly what the (easily fixed) problem was.

But when I tried to approach them they basically told me to "F*ck off!"

So I did.

FJS International, LLC

rebotnix Technologies

Opal

Glidecam

Metropolis Post

Abel Cine

Paralinx LLC

Broadcast Solutions Inc

Technodolly

CineLab