Tebbe Schoeningh
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 117 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Buenos Aires, Berlin

Posted 01 November 2009 - 02:12 AM

Hi,

is there anybody who´s got some technical specs about this movie? I´m especially interested in the lenses they used. Beautiful bokeh! ;)

#2 Tebbe Schoeningh

Tebbe Schoeningh
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 117 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Buenos Aires, Berlin

Posted 07 November 2009 - 08:40 PM

Hi,

is there anybody who´s got some technical specs about this movie? I´m especially interested in the lenses they used. Beautiful bokeh! ;)

nobody?

#3 David Mullen ASC

David Mullen ASC
  • Sustaining Members
  • 19759 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Los Angeles

Posted 07 November 2009 - 09:44 PM

nobody?

I saw it, looked great -- clearly was shot in anamorphic to me, the IMDB says Panavision anamorphic. Can't tell you which lenses though but the general look reminded me of C-Series.

#4 Tebbe Schoeningh

Tebbe Schoeningh
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 117 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Buenos Aires, Berlin

Posted 09 November 2009 - 05:40 PM

I saw it, looked great -- clearly was shot in anamorphic to me, the IMDB says Panavision anamorphic. Can't tell you which lenses though but the general look reminded me of C-Series.

Thanks David,

I really can´t find any detailled information about the tech specs of this movie. What is it that makes you remind the C-Series?

#5 David Mullen ASC

David Mullen ASC
  • Sustaining Members
  • 19759 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Los Angeles

Posted 09 November 2009 - 05:56 PM

Thanks David,

I really can´t find any detailled information about the tech specs of this movie. What is it that makes you remind the C-Series?

Primo anamorphics tend to be cooler in terms of the lens flares, plus are too big & heavy for a lot of handheld and Steadicam work, and this movie seemed to have a bit of that. And it didn't have that Primo crispness. Of course, it could have been the new G-Series but I'm not sure if they were available when the movie was made, and it could have been the E-Series.

I also noticed some light diffusion like ProMist, Black Frost, or GlimmerGlass, etc.

It could have been shot on a mix of Panavision anamorphics, which is not unusual, C-Series for handheld and Steadicam, E-series or Primos for other shots, etc.

In terms of bokeh, any 2X anamorphic prime with front anamorphic elements has fairly stretched-looking bokeh when shot wider-open than T/4 but the C-Series in particular get a bit odd at T/2.8 because of the barrel distortion, fall-off, plus the anamorphic bokeh. The weirdest bokeh I ever got in a movie shoot was during a Steadicam shot on a 40mm C-Series anamorphic at T/2.8 while looking up at some out-of-focus tree canopy above the actor's head -- not only were the out-of-focus gaps between the leave shaped into an oval, but all around the edges, the ovals were bent into crescents due to the barrel distortion, plus there was noticeable fall-off, like a vignette.

Tai Audio

Wooden Camera

CineTape

Technodolly

CineLab

Opal

Rig Wheels Passport

Aerial Filmworks

Broadcast Solutions Inc

Ritter Battery

Metropolis Post

Abel Cine