New

• Basic Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Santa Monica

Posted 04 November 2009 - 05:53 PM

Hello,

I was wondering how one might be able to recreate a flicker from a television without the use of a flicker box. Waving hands and various gobos don't seem to work out for me. Is there anything cleaner and cheaper to get a better representation.

Thanks

#2 David Mullen ASC

David Mullen ASC
  • Sustaining Members
  • 19759 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Los Angeles

Posted 04 November 2009 - 07:08 PM

Hello,

I was wondering how one might be able to recreate a flicker from a television without the use of a flicker box. Waving hands and various gobos don't seem to work out for me. Is there anything cleaner and cheaper to get a better representation.

Thanks

Flicker boxes, dimmers, and hand-waving all work for me and I don't know what's cheaper than waving a hand in front of a soft light, so I'm fresh out of ideas...

All of these tricks depend on the skill of the person doing the waving, dimming, etc. to get the rhythm right.

It helps to have more than one light going through a single diffusion frame so as to blend different rates of flicker, dimming, or to have one steady light, etc. It's hard to do this with a single light and make it seem random enough. I usually start with two tweenies going through the same frame of diffusion, or two soft boxes end-to-end, etc. Then one can barely be pulsing while the other can be more erratic.

If you want to be more realistic, take your video source and use a video projector to project it onto the faces of the actors, throwing it out of focus and passing it through a thin frame of diffusion so it's more about shifting image brightnesses, etc.

#3 Adam Hiner

Adam Hiner

New

• Basic Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Santa Monica

Posted 04 November 2009 - 07:30 PM

Flicker boxes, dimmers, and hand-waving all work for me and I don't know what's cheaper than waving a hand in front of a soft light, so I'm fresh out of ideas...

All of these tricks depend on the skill of the person doing the waving, dimming, etc. to get the rhythm right.

It helps to have more than one light going through a single diffusion frame so as to blend different rates of flicker, dimming, or to have one steady light, etc. It's hard to do this with a single light and make it seem random enough. I usually start with two tweenies going through the same frame of diffusion, or two soft boxes end-to-end, etc. Then one can barely be pulsing while the other can be more erratic.

If you want to be more realistic, take your video source and use a video projector to project it onto the faces of the actors, throwing it out of focus and passing it through a thin frame of diffusion so it's more about shifting image brightnesses, etc.

Thanks for the advice David. I will keep it in mind next time. Best wishes.

FJS International, LLC

Abel Cine

Aerial Filmworks

CineTape

Technodolly

Broadcast Solutions Inc

Willys Widgets

Gamma Ray Digital Inc

Metropolis Post

The Slider

Glidecam

rebotnix Technologies