#1 John Reeve

John Reeve

New

• Basic Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
  • Student

Posted 06 November 2009 - 04:14 PM

A guy I know recently offered to sell me an incomplete set of Zeiss 35mm lenses 16, 32, 50, & 85 (distagon & planars, T 2.4 for the 16, and T 2.2 for the rest). These do not have the T* and are in arri standard mt. He asked me to make an offer. I have no idea what these lenses are genuinely worth.

I don't want to low ball and nor do I want to offer too much. What would be an acceptable price range?

They are all in excellent condition. The 16 has a slightly dinged front rim.

Any thoughts?

Thanks!

#2 Stephen Williams

Stephen Williams
  • Sustaining Members
  • 4708 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Europe

Posted 06 November 2009 - 05:29 PM

A guy I know recently offered to sell me an incomplete set of Zeiss 35mm lenses 16, 32, 50, & 85 (distagon & planars, T 2.4 for the 16, and T 2.2 for the rest). These do not have the T* and are in arri standard mt. He asked me to make an offer. I have no idea what these lenses are genuinely worth.

I don't want to low ball and nor do I want to offer too much. What would be an acceptable price range?

They are all in excellent condition. The 16 has a slightly dinged front rim.

Any thoughts?

Thanks!

$4-500 per lens.

#3 John Reeve

John Reeve

New

• Basic Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
  • Student

Posted 06 November 2009 - 08:48 PM

$4-500 per lens.

Thanks Stephen. I know this is kind of a subjective question that I probably can only answer for myself, but if you were on a student budget and had a set of Schneiders, would you think that this purchase would be a significant enough upgrade to warrant the expenditure? Do you think these Zeiss will retain their value? I've never used the Zeiss but I like the Schneiders for certain things.

#4 Stephen Williams

Stephen Williams
  • Sustaining Members
  • 4708 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Europe

Posted 07 November 2009 - 03:39 AM

Thanks Stephen. I know this is kind of a subjective question that I probably can only answer for myself, but if you were on a student budget and had a set of Schneiders, would you think that this purchase would be a significant enough upgrade to warrant the expenditure? Do you think these Zeiss will retain their value? I've never used the Zeiss but I like the Schneiders for certain things.

Hi,

They will never be in big demand as they are 'Sub Prime' or 'Past their sell by date'. Stick with the Schneiders for now, I don't think you will gain that much from the T2.2's.

Stephen

#5 John Reeve

John Reeve

New

• Basic Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
  • Student

Posted 07 November 2009 - 11:56 AM

Hi,

They will never be in big demand as they are 'Sub Prime' or 'Past their sell by date'. Stick with the Schneiders for now, I don't think you will gain that much from the T2.2's.

Stephen

Thanks. I believe that is sage advice.

rebotnix Technologies

Visual Products

Metropolis Post

Paralinx LLC

Opal

Ritter Battery

FJS International, LLC

Technodolly

Glidecam

Willys Widgets