#1 Ed Sieb

Ed Sieb
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 53 posts
  • Other
  • Ottawa, Ontario

Posted 11 November 2009 - 01:36 PM

I recently acquired a couple of Arriflex cameras and now need a suitable tripod. I don't want to spend thousands of $$$.
Question: How much do the Arri 16BL, and Arri 16M weigh?

This will tell me what kind of tripod I need.

TIA

Ed

#2 Jean-Louis Seguin

Jean-Louis Seguin
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 719 posts
  • Other
  • Montreal, Canada

Posted 11 November 2009 - 01:58 PM

I recently acquired a couple of Arriflex cameras and now need a suitable tripod. I don't want to spend thousands of $$$.
Question: How much do the Arri 16BL, and Arri 16M weigh?

This will tell me what kind of tripod I need.

TIA

Ed

The 16BL weighs approximately 20 lbs fully loaded.
I'd suggest a tripod rated for a bit more load (30 to 50 lbs) would be a good match.
The old O'Connor 50 was often used with the BL.

Cheers,
Jean-Louis

#3 Ed Sieb

Ed Sieb
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 53 posts
  • Other
  • Ottawa, Ontario

Posted 11 November 2009 - 03:41 PM

The 16BL weighs approximately 20 lbs fully loaded.
I'd suggest a tripod rated for a bit more load (30 to 50 lbs) would be a good match.
The old O'Connor 50 was often used with the BL.
Cheers,
Jean-Louis

Thanks for the reply. Unless I can get a decent tripod used, it looks like I'm in for some money! :o

#4 Adrian Sierkowski

Adrian Sierkowski
  • Sustaining Members
  • 7117 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Los Angeles, Ca

Posted 11 November 2009 - 03:58 PM

I love the O'Connor 50D Head. It's what I use for my cameras; working as well for my SR3 as my EX1 as my 2M. and such nice moves; very nice moved.

#5 James Steven Beverly

James Steven Beverly
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4199 posts
  • Director
  • El Paso, Texas

Posted 12 November 2009 - 05:07 AM

Wooden tripods with fluid heads for 16mm come up all the time on EBAY. They rarely go over $500 and often go for under $200. I have a beautiful Mitchell mount with a pair of O'Connor 100s a spreader and a Mitchell Mount Baby tripod. It works fantastically. My lighing guy kids me about going old school, but I figure it a wooden tripod can hold up a heavy-assed Mitchell, it outta be a breeze for it to handle my Commiecams and it is. I actually feel kinda connected to the long history of the motion picture industry every time I pull them out. In fact, this may be exactly what you're looking for:

http://cgi.ebay.com/...=item2a02741ed4

O'Connor 50 s are terrific but a tiny bit more expensive though nowhere near a Satchel

Edited by James Steven Beverly, 12 November 2009 - 05:12 AM.

#6 Ed Sieb

Ed Sieb
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 53 posts
  • Other
  • Ottawa, Ontario

Posted 12 November 2009 - 09:06 AM

Wooden tripods with fluid heads for 16mm come up all the time on EBAY. They rarely go over $500 and often go for under $200. I have a beautiful Mitchell mount with a pair of O'Connor 100s a spreader and a Mitchell Mount Baby tripod. It works fantastically. My lighing guy kids me about going old school, but I figure it a wooden tripod can hold up a heavy-assed Mitchell, it outta be a breeze for it to handle my Commiecams and it is. I actually feel kinda connected to the long history of the motion picture industry every time I pull them out. In fact, this may be exactly what you're looking for:

O'Connor 50 s are terrific but a tiny bit more expensive though nowhere near a Satchel

Trés cool! We bid on it!

As an alternative, I believe I will purchase this tripod:
http://www.bhphotovi...deo_Tripod.html

Posted Image
It will handle up to 33 lbs, so it should handle any ciné camera I put on it. And, it's comparatively cheap - only about $600, which fits my budget.

Edited by Ed Sieb, 12 November 2009 - 09:07 AM.

#7 James Steven Beverly

James Steven Beverly
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4199 posts
  • Director
  • El Paso, Texas

Posted 12 November 2009 - 11:03 PM

Yeah, that should work too, BUT IF you get out bid, you can always just wait for a deal. These come up LITERALLY every week or less. Most are in good condition and come with a fluidhead. Good luck on this one though, it is a nice one!!

Edited by James Steven Beverly, 12 November 2009 - 11:04 PM.

#8 Ed Sieb

Ed Sieb
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 53 posts
  • Other
  • Ottawa, Ontario

Posted 15 November 2009 - 01:56 PM

Thank you for the eBay tip, we won that auction! Cool! Now I actually own an Arri tripod! Thanks for the tip! ;)

#9 James Steven Beverly

James Steven Beverly
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4199 posts
  • Director
  • El Paso, Texas

Posted 16 November 2009 - 02:56 AM

Thank you for the eBay tip, we won that auction! Cool! Now I actually own an Arri tripod! Thanks for the tip! ;)

:lol: Congratulations!!! It's a beautiful tripod. You may want to look for a spreader on ebay as well if these legs didn't come with one which should go for 25 to 65 bucks plus shipping on average and some rubber feet spike covers. Then, later on, maybe a set of cut legs and baby legs and a high hat and a low hat down the road. the cut legs are hard to find but the baby legs are common and go pretty cheap. I think I paid 35 bucks for mine. You'll find the high hat and low hats go a little high at around a hundred bucks each which never fails to surprise me and of course cases for the stuff help keep it nice. ALL of this stuff, you should be able to pick up for under a grand total. If you can't afford a spreader right away, a lot of people just use a section of thick carpet in a pinch. The spikes will dig into the fiber and hold the legs in place without going through to damage the floor. Just FYI. B)

Edited by James Steven Beverly, 16 November 2009 - 03:00 AM.

#10 Ed Sieb

Ed Sieb
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 53 posts
  • Other
  • Ottawa, Ontario

Posted 16 November 2009 - 09:08 AM

:lol: Congratulations!!! It's a beautiful tripod. You may want to look for a spreader on ebay as well if these legs didn't come with one which should go for 25 to 65 bucks plus shipping on average and some rubber feet spike covers.

It didn't come with spreaders, or at least none were mentioned nor appeared in the pictures.
How often do spreaders come up for auction, and what should I look for? I have already looked for new spreaders at B&H, which I've found, but don't know how compatible those are?

Then, later on, maybe a set of cut legs and baby legs and a high hat and a low hat down the road. the cut legs are hard to find but the baby legs are common and go pretty cheap. I think I paid 35 bucks for mine. You'll find the high hat and low hats go a little high at around a hundred bucks each which never fails to surprise me [...]

Somehow, I don't think I'm ever going to get that ambitious in film-making to need high-hats or baby legs! ;)

#11 Brian Drysdale

Brian Drysdale
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5070 posts
  • Cinematographer

Posted 16 November 2009 - 01:49 PM

Old Ronford spreaders should do the job. There should be lugs at the base of each leg that allow elastic loops to secure the legs.

Just be careful of over tightening the bowl clamp screw, you can crack the metal top of the legs - it's not the same as the usual bowl design

#12 James Steven Beverly

James Steven Beverly
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4199 posts
  • Director
  • El Paso, Texas

Posted 17 November 2009 - 02:10 AM

It didn't come with spreaders, or at least none were mentioned nor appeared in the pictures.
How often do spreaders come up for auction, and what should I look for? I have already looked for new spreaders at B&H, which I've found, but don't know how compatible those are?

Somehow, I don't think I'm ever going to get that ambitious in film-making to need high-hats or baby legs! ;)

Same place, cameras and photo ebay. Just type in spreader. Like I said, you can get away with a piece of carpet for now. I understand about the high hat and baby legs. I, PERSONALLY, am of a mind that I'd rather have a tool and not need it, than need a tool and not have it especially if it's relatively cheap, but that's just me, Any way, enjoy your new tripod, it will look and work great with your camera. Have fun shooting!! B)

Edited by James Steven Beverly, 17 November 2009 - 02:11 AM.

The Slider

Metropolis Post

FJS International, LLC

Ritter Battery

Glidecam

Technodolly

Abel Cine

Broadcast Solutions Inc

Willys Widgets

Paralinx LLC

Aerial Filmworks

Wooden Camera