Quintin Lundy

New

• Basic Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
  • Student

Posted 12 November 2009 - 08:47 PM

Hi,

I'm a film student at Vanderbilt University and I'm interested in pursuing cinematography. I recently served as dp on a short film shot in HD on the HVX. While shooting, I was really impressed with the colors and the clarity. We used an hd monitor to see how everything was going and it looked fine. Fast forward to next class where we presented our dailies and it's quite different. We viewed it on our projector and it looked extremely dark and nothing like what we viewed.
I'm sure the fact that it was compressed to standard def played a role, but it looked kinda dark even though we should have had sufficient light. My question is this. What kind of changes can be made in the color correction stage to make the film "more unified." Some the scenes look like they were shot in very different lighting situations. Essentially, since I know very little about color correction, I'd like to know what type of problems can be fixed e.g. different lighting situations, dark scenes, etc. We did color correction in my last class film and it made a stark difference. Any help would be graciously appreciated

#2 Adrian Sierkowski

Adrian Sierkowski
  • Sustaining Members
  • 7118 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Los Angeles, Ca

Posted 12 November 2009 - 08:52 PM

Chances are the projector in your class room is well off of spec and not in an ideal viewing envoirment. I recall from my film school days the horrible looks the projectors in classrooms gave all projects. That being said, was your on set monitor calibrated properly? Is your editorial monitor calibrater properly? Have you looked at you waveforms/vectrascopes in your editing program to check the exposure?
That being said, Mac monitors are MUCH brighter than reality (NTSC) in my experience. It's why I keep a Dell monitor around calibrated for NTSC and the results are literally night and day. You can brighten the image pretty easily in any NLE, 3 way color corrector in FCP is pretty good though I much prefer AVID's color correction. Apple Color is also very useful. Just pop the footage into any of those programs and play 'round. I recommend learning how to read a waveform (histogram) and using that a bit for your exposures as monitors and your viewing situations on location and even in the edit suit can be unreliable.

#3 Quintin Lundy

Quintin Lundy

New

• Basic Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
  • Student

Posted 12 November 2009 - 09:04 PM

Thank you. I thought that it might have been the projector because our projectors are not the best. I'll try to play around with the footage in final 3 color corrector and see what I can do. I'll definitely learn about the waveform because i realize how much better of a guide. That was my main concern in getting a true image.

Willys Widgets

CineTape

Visual Products

FJS International, LLC

Broadcast Solutions Inc

CineLab

Media Blackout - Custom Cables and AKS

Aerial Filmworks

Gamma Ray Digital Inc

Metropolis Post

Paralinx LLC

Glidecam