#1 Michael Nelson

Michael Nelson
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 33 posts
  • Steadicam Operator
  • Los Angeles, CA

Posted 12 November 2009 - 08:58 PM

With sandbag t-markers, a bunch of cables and connectors, tools and etc this thing is in a big tool bag and weighs in at 36 lbs. I don't feel like I have too much, I like to be prepared for ANYTHING! What say you? Move to two different bags/ multiple bags? Keep the one big bag? Change to a different type of bag?

#2 Rob Vogt

Rob Vogt
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 437 posts
  • Other
  • New York

Posted 12 November 2009 - 09:16 PM

I keep cables with a practicals case (or in my case, trunk), that'll lighten your load.

#3 John Waterman

John Waterman
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 49 posts
  • 1st Assistant Camera
  • Chicago

Posted 12 November 2009 - 10:03 PM

Sounds like time to start seperating out. My kit has expanded into a number of bags and large plastic bins. For example:

Cinebag for camera AKS
2nd AC bag for marks and tools
empty run-bag
Pelican case for AC tools that stay on the truck or are rarely used
Expendables bin
Foul weather bin
Cam dept grip/electric bin
Cam dept office tools/supplies bin
Cans/cores/bags bin
Film loading tools/supplies bin
Laptop and computer cables case

Additionally:
10'x10' EZ-UP tent
4 sandbags
3 umbrellas
2 camera carts
1 baby stand for monitor
pana-cooler for grip pops :)

With sandbag t-markers, a bunch of cables and connectors, tools and etc this thing is in a big tool bag and weighs in at 36 lbs. I don't feel like I have too much, I like to be prepared for ANYTHING! What say you? Move to two different bags/ multiple bags? Keep the one big bag? Change to a different type of bag?

#4 Patrick Lavalley

Patrick Lavalley
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 91 posts
  • 2nd Assistant Camera
  • Portland, Oregon

Posted 14 November 2009 - 12:07 AM

Sounds like time to start seperating out. My kit has expanded into a number of bags and large plastic bins. For example:

Cinebag for camera AKS
2nd AC bag for marks and tools
empty run-bag
Pelican case for AC tools that stay on the truck or are rarely used
Expendables bin
Foul weather bin
Cam dept grip/electric bin
Cam dept office tools/supplies bin
Cans/cores/bags bin
Film loading tools/supplies bin
Laptop and computer cables case

Additionally:
10'x10' EZ-UP tent
4 sandbags
3 umbrellas
2 camera carts
1 baby stand for monitor
pana-cooler for grip pops :)

That sounds like a good setup. Everyone's kit is going to vary, but I think it's important to know the items you WILL need, and always have them, the items you will PROBABLY need, and keep them close by (or on the cart) and the items that you MIGHT need and keep them on the truck (or in the car etc...)

I carry the WILL need items on my belt and in a husky open top tool bag, the rest gets spread out depending on circumstances.

I think it's helpful to have an array of bags/totes that you can put stuff in depending on circumstances.

#5 Michael Nelson

Michael Nelson
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 33 posts
  • Steadicam Operator
  • Los Angeles, CA

Posted 14 November 2009 - 10:07 AM

Ya, I think I'm going to have to spread into multiple bags.

John, do you bring all of that stuff to each shoot? I would love to get some pictures of your bins. Also, is your car usually close enough to access everything you need?

#6 John Waterman

John Waterman
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 49 posts
  • 1st Assistant Camera
  • Chicago

Posted 15 November 2009 - 08:53 AM

Do you bring all of that stuff to each shoot? Is your car usually close enough to access everything you need?

No, I only bring what is needed. My full kit is set up for working on location features where camera dept has a truck/trailer with lots of space. When I work on commercials I usually par it down to AKS bag, Marks bag, Pelican case. I only need to bring the kit that I need for each job. Example, if I am working as a film loader for a day all I need is my film loading bin.

The bins I use are industrial grey plastic bins:
http://www.globalind.....ty Containers

#7 Patrick Lavalley

Patrick Lavalley
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 91 posts
  • 2nd Assistant Camera
  • Portland, Oregon

Posted 15 November 2009 - 11:49 PM

LL bean has good tote bags, as does this place

http://beckelcanvas....ducts_type_id=2

#8 Brad Grimmett

Brad Grimmett
  • Sustaining Members
  • 2660 posts
  • Steadicam Operator
  • Los Angeles

Posted 16 November 2009 - 07:00 AM

I have an AC friend who used to work with a (notoriously difficult) DP that didn't like my friend's cinebag because he thought it was too big. It's silly for the DP to care, but it was basically a deal breaker if he wanted to stay on the show (it was TV). The big problem was that this particular show used hard mattes a lot, and finding a smaller bag that also had enough space for the hard mattes, and everything else, was tough. I think he ended up finding a good bag at home depot or lowes.
This is just a small example of why you want to have options. Better reasons have already been stated in previous responses. The point is, options are always good. AC's are expected to have everything they need at all times. Running to the truck or cart for a hard matte isn't an option, no matter what bag your DP will allow you to have on set.
I've gone way off track with this post, but a little common sense based on the job you're doing and who you're working with goes a long way. Being prepared for those different situations is key. Luckily, there are tons of options out there these days.

#9 Chris Keth

Chris Keth
  • Sustaining Members
  • 4427 posts
  • 1st Assistant Camera
  • Los Angeles

Posted 17 November 2009 - 06:57 PM

I have an AC friend who used to work with a (notoriously difficult) DP that didn't like my friend's cinebag because he thought it was too big. It's silly for the DP to care, but it was basically a deal breaker if he wanted to stay on the show (it was TV).

That's the stupidest thing I have ever heard.

Media Blackout - Custom Cables and AKS

CineTape

Ritter Battery

CineLab

Glidecam

Wooden Camera

Visual Products

Broadcast Solutions Inc

Aerial Filmworks

Opal

rebotnix Technologies

Technodolly