Film Speeds and Contrast

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Jeremy Hunt

Jeremy Hunt
  • Guests

Posted 17 November 2009 - 02:01 PM

Hi

I have a question, does higher speed films pull more contrast out of a scene?

My thinking is that if a film is more sensitive to light, then it exagerates the differences between brightnesses.

-Jeremy

Edited by Jeremy Hunt, 17 November 2009 - 02:02 PM.

#2 David Mullen ASC

David Mullen ASC
  • Sustaining Members
  • 19760 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Los Angeles

Posted 17 November 2009 - 03:54 PM

Hi

I have a question, does higher speed films pull more contrast out of a scene?

My thinking is that if a film is more sensitive to light, then it exagerates the differences between brightnesses.

-Jeremy

In practical reality, it just depends on the design of the stocks -- the Kodak Vision, Vision-2, and now Vision-3 line have generally been designed to match as a series, with listed exceptions. So the gamma / contrast should match between stocks in that series, more or less.

Now it's probably easier to design a high-speed stock that is lower in contrast than a super slow-speed stock like 50D because you have a fast and slow layer for each color that you can play with, tweak the sensitivity. The new higher-speed Vision-3 stocks, for example, take advantage of technology designed to make the Vision-2 50D stock possible, i.e. less grainy than the EXR 50D stock before it. Kodak figured out how to make super-small, slow-speed grains for the new 50D and then used them in the slow layer of the new Vision-3 500T in order to capture another stop of extreme overexposure detail.

#3 Dominic Case

Dominic Case
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1357 posts
  • Other
  • Sydney Australia

Posted 17 November 2009 - 08:49 PM

Not really.

A faster film (more sensitive to light) simply records a different range of brightnesses.

"Sensitivity" to light is about how much (or how little) light it takes to expose the film to a certain density. "Contrast" is about how much the emulsion discriminates beween different brightnesses within a range.

#4 Jeremy Hunt

Jeremy Hunt
  • Guests

Posted 18 November 2009 - 12:49 PM

In practical reality, it just depends on the design of the stocks -- the Kodak Vision, Vision-2, and now Vision-3 line have generally been designed to match as a series, with listed exceptions. So the gamma / contrast should match between stocks in that series, more or less.

Now it's probably easier to design a high-speed stock that is lower in contrast than a super slow-speed stock like 50D because you have a fast and slow layer for each color that you can play with, tweak the sensitivity. The new higher-speed Vision-3 stocks, for example, take advantage of technology designed to make the Vision-2 50D stock possible, i.e. less grainy than the EXR 50D stock before it. Kodak figured out how to make super-small, slow-speed grains for the new 50D and then used them in the slow layer of the new Vision-3 500T in order to capture another stop of extreme overexposure detail.

Thanks very much David.

Where is all the info on things lik Gamma channels? i have had trouble finding info on this.

-Jeremy

#5 Dominic Case

Dominic Case
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1357 posts
  • Other
  • Sydney Australia

Posted 18 November 2009 - 09:09 PM

Where is all the info on things lik Gamma channels?

Where did you see/hear the term "gamma channels"?

Are you asking for a definition of gamma?

#6 Jeremy Hunt

Jeremy Hunt
  • Guests

Posted 19 November 2009 - 08:41 AM

Where did you see/hear the term "gamma channels"?

Are you asking for a definition of gamma?

Hey, thanks for repling.

Well yes, im want to find the place/book where you learn things like gamma/alpha channels and general advanced cinematography things like film density. And all the stuff related to processing, telecine etc.

-Jeremy

#7 David Mullen ASC

David Mullen ASC
  • Sustaining Members
  • 19760 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Los Angeles

Posted 19 November 2009 - 11:20 AM

Hey, thanks for repling.

Well yes, im want to find the place/book where you learn things like gamma/alpha channels and general advanced cinematography things like film density. And all the stuff related to processing, telecine etc.

-Jeremy

Dominic wrote a great book called "Film Technology in Post Production"
http://www.amazon.co...o...7509&sr=8-1

The Kodak website has good information on it:
http://motion.kodak....otion/index.htm

#8 Jeremy Hunt

Jeremy Hunt
  • Guests

Posted 19 November 2009 - 02:13 PM

Dominic wrote a great book called "Film Technology in Post Production"
http://www.amazon.co...o...7509&sr=8-1

The Kodak website has good information on it:
http://motion.kodak....otion/index.htm

Thanks very much to both of you, its great to be able to talk to professionals!!

CineLab

Rig Wheels Passport

Willys Widgets

Tai Audio

Aerial Filmworks

rebotnix Technologies

CineTape

Gamma Ray Digital Inc

Paralinx LLC

The Slider

Opal

Abel Cine