michael scannell

New

• Basic Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Austin, TX

Posted 17 November 2009 - 04:06 PM

I am looking for a video that I saw once where they break down how the ending battle scene was accomplished in "Children Of Men" In the short doc they talk about why the decided to leave the "blood on the lens" and how they combined 2 different takes to make it seem like one long hand held shot. Is there anyone out there that has seen this and remembers where I can get it?

#2 Marc Villafan

Marc Villafan

New

• Basic Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts
  • Director

Posted 18 November 2009 - 03:12 AM

I am looking for a video that I saw once where they break down how the ending battle scene was accomplished in "Children Of Men" In the short doc they talk about why the decided to leave the "blood on the lens" and how they combined 2 different takes to make it seem like one long hand held shot. Is there anyone out there that has seen this and remembers where I can get it?

Actually, if I remember correctly, the blood was left on the lens and slowly when the sections the blood was on would blend with the background, it would get painted out from then on. There is a point when hes going up the stairs or around that portion where all of the blood is gone. I also distinctly remember them saying they "paid big bucks to have it digitally removed"

#3 Adrian Sierkowski

Adrian Sierkowski
  • Sustaining Members
  • 7115 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Los Angeles, Ca

Posted 18 November 2009 - 03:23 AM

It was 2 shots joined by an invisible dissolve as far as I recall. hence, the blood was added to the 2nd shot and removed through it slowly, if memory serves. I believe there is something on the special features on the dvd which talks of it.

#4 Drew Bienemann

Drew Bienemann
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 42 posts
  • Cinematographer

Posted 19 March 2010 - 02:12 PM

From what I remember from some Making Of thing I saw on it, it was the third and last take they did that day (as the scene took 5 hours to reset), and Alfonso was watching the monitor, and when the blood hit the lens he was yelling "CUT! CUT!" but nobody could hear him. In post he decided he did not mind the blood on the lens for part of the scene, but they paid someone to paint out the blood frame by frame for the rest of the shot.

That's what I remember.

#5 Trevor Mack

Trevor Mack

New

• Basic Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
  • Student

Posted 08 December 2010 - 12:38 PM

but they paid someone to paint out the blood frame by frame for the rest of the shot.

And didn't that shot go on for another full minute or so? Damn that must have been painstaking.

rebotnix Technologies

The Slider

Paralinx LLC

CineLab

Willys Widgets

Abel Cine

Technodolly

Gamma Ray Digital Inc

Glidecam

Metropolis Post

Media Blackout - Custom Cables and AKS

Broadcast Solutions Inc