Dustin Gray

New

• Basic Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
  • Cinematographer

Posted 20 November 2009 - 07:43 AM

Hi Everyone,

My first post to this community, I'm sure glad its around.

I have been done camera work in feature films and a documentaries and usually get paid on a negotiated basis. I currently have around 2 years exp. having shot roughly 50+ interviews and have ventured out into the corporate world producing videos for property developers.

I own my own equipment, do my own lighting, editing, color correction, sound design and mixing etc... and am asking what is the standard rate to charge commercially for the type of work I am about to do or am doing.

It took me a day to shoot with my own equipement and it took me rougly 2 days to edit, color correct, and sound design the video for my client.

The sequence is 7 mins long.

I havent used any production music on this project as the developer had thier own music composed for the development thus sound design was a no brainer.

They are a good friend who owns a marketing company who markets for a number of developers who wants to use me for each project.

My question is two fold.

1. What do I charge per day for the filming and lighting + supply of all the equipment?

2. What do I charge per day for editing, including, color correction, sound design and sound mixing?

Best Regards

Dustin Gray

#2 Adrian Sierkowski

Adrian Sierkowski
  • Sustaining Members
  • 7117 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Los Angeles, Ca

Posted 20 November 2009 - 07:54 AM

Day rates will vary for production, wildly especially now. I've done everything from $100/day for student films who can't afford more, up to 1000/day for corporate gigs who can. I'd say look at how much you've been making and average it out, then tack on a little bit more for your standard rate, so you can negotiate down if need be. I tend to ask what production is offering first and negotiate from there. Often, their first offer will be higher than what I'd take and I don't want to sacrifice that.
As for editorial/color correct etc, that's normally an hourly pay, and I'd look 'round for some editors to see what they charge. The one outside editor I use a good deal charges me $25/hr, but that's basically the "me" rate. Often here, too, you'd negotiate a contract rate for a longer term project.
Let's say, for example, you charge $30/hr to edit. Based on a 10 hour day, that's $300/day, for a week you'd normally charge for 3 or 4 days, and for a month normally 15 days (or 2 weeks). So you'd have $300/day for editorial, 900/wk or 1800/mo. Of course, and here's the rub, you'll be working on deadline in such cases so if you say it'll take you 2 days to edit, you'd better get it done in 2 days!
Also, how much you can charge is kinda of dictated by what the market can afford. The rates here in Philadelphia won't be those in NYC or Baltimore, or LA or Boston etc, because the supply and demand is vastly different.

Hope it kinda helps.

#3 Dustin Gray

Dustin Gray

New

• Basic Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
  • Cinematographer

Posted 20 November 2009 - 10:54 PM

It does greatly, thanks.

I just noticed I posted this question in the wrong thread, sorry bout that.

Thanks for replying.

Best Regards

Dustin Gray

Visual Products

Technodolly

rebotnix Technologies

Tai Audio

FJS International, LLC

CineLab

Rig Wheels Passport

Paralinx LLC

Broadcast Solutions Inc