1 reply to this topic

#1 Eric Black

Eric Black
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts
  • Student

Posted 21 November 2009 - 08:16 PM

I often go to Blockbuster to indulge my love of low budget horror flicks. There is never a shortage of micro budget releases for me to choose from. Stuff like "Buried Alive", "Automaton Transfusion", "The Cottage", etc, etc, etc.

My question is ............. how do these movies get made? What is the process for a company like 'Dimension Extreme' or 'Ghost House Pictures'? Do people (or agents I suppose) submit scripts to these 'small' production companies and then they produce the ones they like? Or do they mainly buy the movies and release them once they are completed?

I have absolutely no idea how the process works and I'd be interested to hear some insight.

Thanks!

#2 Justin Hayward

Justin Hayward
  • Sustaining Members
  • 928 posts
  • Director
  • Chicago, IL.

Posted 21 November 2009 - 10:20 PM

I don’t know much, but I can tell you a little about the director of this movie (which was picked up by Ghost House)…

http://danceofthedeadmovie.com/

He’s a really innovative guy. He made a short film at USC (I believe) and took fifteen grand or so he won from it and put it toward this…

http://entertheotherside.com/

The movie did well in the festival world and eventually made it on the shelves in video stores. I’m not clear as to how Bleiberg Entertainment and Greg got together, but I assume they saw "The Other Side" and decided to give him a little money to make another movie. The "Dance of the Dead" script was actually written by a friend of his when they were in film school (way before this zombie mania) and Gregg had wanted to make it since then. I think this is explained in the behind-the-scenes on the DVD, but I can’t remember.

It was shopped around and I’m pretty sure it sold for a straight to video release before the first festival screening at SXSW.

The movie is full of energy and very entertaining. He absolutely puts every penny on the screen and Ghost House took notice as it’s the type of films they look for. I guess my point is, he worked very hard making movies he wanted to make and it paid off. He’s working on another for Bleiberg now, I believe.

But, that’s just one story. I don’t know anyone else whose movie was picked up by Ghost House, so this could be totally unique.

Media Blackout - Custom Cables and AKS

Gamma Ray Digital Inc

Ritter Battery

Opal

Abel Cine

CineLab

FJS International, LLC

Wooden Camera

Metropolis Post

The Slider

Tai Audio

CineTape