#1 ryan knight

ryan knight
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 115 posts
  • Cinematographer

Posted 23 November 2009 - 06:16 PM

howdy,

i'm shooting some dark interiors (500T- 7218) and day exteriors and interiors (250D- 7205) for a short in three weeks.

we have no money to shoot tests with each stock at the location. would it be relevant/accurate and useful to shoot tests with 35mm still stocks of the same sensitivity at each location to get a feel for the texture of the location and how each film may capture the environment (an abandoned warehouse)?

or would my S16 stocks differ too much from still 35mm films of the same ASA?

thanks,

rk.

#2 Adrian Sierkowski

Adrian Sierkowski
  • Sustaining Members
  • 7117 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Los Angeles, Ca

Posted 23 November 2009 - 06:32 PM

there'd be a difference primarily in the perception of grain, and you won't find many 500T still stocks ;) or 250D.
What i normally do is use a DSLR and shoot that in jpeg mode for a rought idea of how the location looks; knowing i'll have more information on the neg. I make sure to set my shutter to 1/50th (the D90 has it and it's close enough to 1/48th for me) and my ASA to what I'm rating my stock at, (320 for '18.. and really, rate it at 320! or 160/200 for the '05, depending normally 160)

#3 ryan knight

ryan knight
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 115 posts
  • Cinematographer

Posted 23 November 2009 - 06:46 PM

there'd be a difference primarily in the perception of grain, and you won't find many 500T still stocks ;) or 250D.
What i normally do is use a DSLR and shoot that in jpeg mode for a rought idea of how the location looks; knowing i'll have more information on the neg. I make sure to set my shutter to 1/50th (the D90 has it and it's close enough to 1/48th for me) and my ASA to what I'm rating my stock at, (320 for '18.. and really, rate it at 320! or 160/200 for the '05, depending normally 160)

what really matters to me is seeing into the shadows, the latitude - i'm not really doing the tests for grain (but that is a good thought). perhaps i could use a 400ASA to give me an idea of the shadows acting as my 500T (18), and test a 200ASA for my 250D (05)?

i feel as if using a DSLR won't be as representative of the latitude of the film.

#4 Adrian Sierkowski

Adrian Sierkowski
  • Sustaining Members
  • 7117 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Los Angeles, Ca

Posted 23 November 2009 - 06:52 PM

it really won't, but neither will the stills.... really.
Cine neg is a little different than you'd get in terms of stills film, and iirc the processing is a bit different (ENC-2 as opposed to C41) and to really see how well you'll, well, see, into the shadows, you really need to take the film through a very similar post work-flow as you're planning with your work.
Have you tried calling up your Kodak rep and asking for a test-roll? Might be a good idea to see if you can get some gratis, they can be very giving for testing, to test out camera/lens/film/lab/post all at once.

Now, barring that, then you could get a rough approximation from 35mm stills film. Now, weather it'll give you more or less information as a DLSR... well all that depends a bit.. once you develop the film, what are you going to do with it? if you print stills it certainly won't be representative of what you'd get on the neg itself with which to correct later on, and if you're going to scan it into a computer... well, again, not really representative of what'd happen in the TC. That's at least why I went with the DSLR in my own "run and gun testings." Though you could look at the neg proper to see whatcha see, but my own brain doesn't work as well when looking at a negative.

Just my thoughts on it, you can of course shoot stills and see whatcha get, but I don't even know which stills stock would be closest to Vision2.. maybe Porta?

Abel Cine

Visual Products

CineLab

Glidecam

CineTape

FJS International, LLC

Willys Widgets

Metropolis Post

Ritter Battery

Wooden Camera

rebotnix Technologies

Technodolly