#1 John Richardson

John Richardson
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 28 posts
  • Other

Posted 24 November 2009 - 01:44 AM

Hello there,

Are there any experts that know what the shutter angle is of the Beaulieu 6008 pro camera is? The manual says 45 degrees, mirror type, but I've also read elsewhere at normal setting it is 90 and at LL setting it is 144. I am not sure which is correct? Any advice would be appreciated.

The reason I ask is I am hoping to shoot something at 80fps in manual mode and would like to know how much I need to compensate the exposure at the LL setting compared to when exposed correctly at 24fps.

Any expert advice would be appreciated.

J

#2 Michael Lehnert

Michael Lehnert
  • Sustaining Members
  • 1086 posts
  • Other
  • London, UK / Basel, CH

Posted 24 November 2009 - 10:08 AM

Hi John,

all Beaulieu cameras use a proprietary type of shutter, called guillotine shutter which has the mirror positioned at a 45° angle to the optical axis. As Beaulieu never grew tired to say: the up and down swinging of this construct allow 100% light in the viewfinder an 100% light on the film.

Now, the variable shutter opening angle is something completely different, and the exposure-relevant thing you are inquiring about: the level of light out of the possible 100% actually allowed to pass through to the film, to put it really simple.
For the Beaulieu 6/7/9008-series, it is indeed 90 at Normal setting, and 144 at Low Light setting. So calculate exposure based on these settings.

Hope that helped a bit.

-Michael

#3 John Richardson

John Richardson
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 28 posts
  • Other

Posted 24 November 2009 - 10:55 PM

Hi Michael,

Thankyou very much for your reply. So essentially at LL the shutter is "144" degrees but it is 144 degrees within their 45 degree proprietary system they created? Slightly confusing! But for all intensive purposes is it safe to say the shutter is 144 degrees (at LL) and not say 180 degrees or something else if measured on a standard film shutter system? Does the make sense?

Cheers
J

#4 Ian Cooper

Ian Cooper
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 469 posts
  • Other
  • England

Posted 25 November 2009 - 03:02 AM

Hi Michael,

Thankyou very much for your reply. So essentially at LL the shutter is "144" degrees but it is 144 degrees within their 45 degree proprietary system they created? Slightly confusing! But for all intensive purposes is it safe to say the shutter is 144 degrees (at LL) and not say 180 degrees or something else if measured on a standard film shutter system? Does the make sense?

Cheers
J

Not quite. The 45 degrees simply refers to the fact that the mirror shutter sits at an angle of 45 degrees to the film plane in order to reflect the image into the viewfinder ...like pretty much every reflex camera made with any type of mirror shutter.

The 'shutter angle' is simply the 144/90 degrees, although as the camera doesn't actually have a rotating shutter it isn't a physical angle as such, it simply refers to the equivalent angle that would be found on a rotating shutter camera. The Beaulieu uses an oscillating shutter.

The bottom line is: Don't worry about 45 degrees - it's simply marketing talk!

#5 Michael Lehnert

Michael Lehnert
  • Sustaining Members
  • 1086 posts
  • Other
  • London, UK / Basel, CH

Posted 25 November 2009 - 11:15 AM

Nothing to add to Ian's earlier great reply.

Forget about the 45° in relation to exposure.

Use the 144° or 90° for your exposure calculations just as you would use 180° for an Aaton or 220° for a Panaflex.

#6 John Richardson

John Richardson
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 28 posts
  • Other

Posted 25 November 2009 - 04:41 PM

Oh OK that makes sense. Thanks for your great replies. You got to love that Beaulieu marketing talk!

#7 Jack Mcmahon

Jack Mcmahon

New

• Basic Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Jacksonville, FL

Posted 11 December 2010 - 03:55 AM

Use the 144° or 90° for your exposure calculations just as you would use 180° for an Aaton or 220° for a Panaflex.

I think I must try this now. It seems that it will make a great result.
Thanks!

____________________________________________________________________________________________
Jack Mcmahon
Want To Know How To Become A Singer?

Willys Widgets

Broadcast Solutions Inc

Opal

Paralinx LLC

The Slider

Technodolly

Aerial Filmworks

Glidecam

Ritter Battery

Rig Wheels Passport