#1 Elliot Rudmann

Elliot Rudmann
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 208 posts
  • Other
  • Chicago

Posted 27 November 2009 - 07:01 PM

Just saw this film and was very impressed. Finally a post-apocalyptic film that isn't driven by superfluous visual effects, zombies, or an unrealistic story structure. The cinematography was hauntingly beautiful, subtle, and heavily complimented by set design/location and (tasteful) desaturated color grading. No cheesy performances either, Viggo Mortensen (The Man) and Kodi Smit-McPhee (The Boy) managed to convey a deep and realistic father-son relationship. The adaptation to McCarthy's novel was pretty faithful as well, minus a few flashblacks (probably to give Charlize Theron more screen time). The overly sentimental soundtrack also could have been cut out entirely; we don't need to be told how to feel in an environment so bleak. A great film overall.

Another interesting thing to note was that, during some reel changes (noticeably the first and second), the color correction (in the same scene) dramatically changed. Not sure if it was a projector issue or perhaps a lab error, like using bad or over-used chemicals when making the release prints? Any thoughts?

Edited by Elliot Rudmann, 27 November 2009 - 07:02 PM.

#2 Gus Sacks

Gus Sacks
  • Sustaining Members
  • 287 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Los Angeles, CA

Posted 01 December 2009 - 09:24 AM

Just saw this film and was very impressed. Finally a post-apocalyptic film that isn't driven by superfluous visual effects, zombies, or an unrealistic story structure. The cinematography was hauntingly beautiful, subtle, and heavily complimented by set design/location and (tasteful) desaturated color grading. No cheesy performances either, Viggo Mortensen (The Man) and Kodi Smit-McPhee (The Boy) managed to convey a deep and realistic father-son relationship. The adaptation to McCarthy's novel was pretty faithful as well, minus a few flashblacks (probably to give Charlize Theron more screen time). The overly sentimental soundtrack also could have been cut out entirely; we don't need to be told how to feel in an environment so bleak. A great film overall.

Another interesting thing to note was that, during some reel changes (noticeably the first and second), the color correction (in the same scene) dramatically changed. Not sure if it was a projector issue or perhaps a lab error, like using bad or over-used chemicals when making the release prints? Any thoughts?

I agree on most accounts, unfortunately including the color shift (I only really noticed one major one in the 1st reel). It was jarring and took me out of the film at that point for a few minutes. I wonder what caused it.

#3 Rob Vogt

Rob Vogt
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 437 posts
  • Other
  • New York

Posted 01 December 2009 - 11:13 AM

Yeah I noticed it as well on the first couple of reels. I didn't really like the boy, but that's not really a point of the cinematography.

Abel Cine

Rig Wheels Passport

Broadcast Solutions Inc

FJS International, LLC

rebotnix Technologies

The Slider

Willys Widgets

Wooden Camera

Paralinx LLC

CineTape

Visual Products

Metropolis Post