For Producers:: Lost in la Mancha:: 1st AD

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Glen Alexander

Glen Alexander
  • Guests

Posted 28 November 2009 - 05:20 PM

Open for general discussion for those who have watched Lost in La Mancha, Terri Gilliam pic that ended in a major film being "abandoned".

Would you have fired Phil, the 1st AD, after the flood?

After Rochefort is departs, what would you have done as producer?

Edited by Glen Alexander, 28 November 2009 - 05:21 PM.

#2 Keith Walters

Keith Walters
  • Sustaining Members
  • 2219 posts
  • Other
  • Sydney Australia

Posted 28 November 2009 - 09:28 PM

Open for general discussion for those who have watched Lost in La Mancha, Terri Gilliam pic that ended in a major film being "abandoned".

Oh.
For a minute there I thought you meant Phil Rhodes....
Other than that, I don't know anything about it :unsure:

#3 Vincent Sweeney

Vincent Sweeney
  • Sustaining Members
  • 686 posts
  • Director
  • LA at the moment.

Posted 28 November 2009 - 09:45 PM

After Rochefort is departs, what would you have done as producer?

Why fire a good, experienced AD after a flood? He had nothing to do with that. He and Terry were also friends and you can hear Terry at one point saying that if Phil is to be fired then he should probably leave the film too. You dont want to distract or upset a director as experienced as Gilliam and even more so on a film like that where no one would be able to replace him. The AD position is even more important on a film like that and just bringing in someone new is much easier said than done.

After the lead leaves for medical review, you do what they did and shoot until you can't shoot anymore. If he can't come back, you shut the film down like they did as well. There is nothing you can do at that point.

You have to consider that films involving that much money, and that were structured investment wise like this one was, are extremely contract laden. Money is there on thousands of conditions. If Rochefort left or Gilliam left, etc, things crumble legally and financially and become way too complex to simply "keep shooting no matter what", like many micro-budget producers will try to do.

#4 Glen Alexander

Glen Alexander
  • Guests

Posted 28 November 2009 - 11:37 PM

I don't kmow of any major production that doesn't have a small compact 2nd unit that is not going at the same time, they could have been called in to shoot if the main is in disarray.

To burn two days with a huge crew like that on location must have cost a bomb!

They also knew about the bombing range ahead of time, I've been to Bardenas Reales, you call the colonel ahead of time and find out the weeks schedule, to me that's bad planning on 1st AD.

To plan a shoot in a desert wash is just nuts. You can see storms and clouds 30 miles away, to wait until the last minute to button down is inexcusable.

I would have stopped production then and there, seeing that train wreck coming at full speed.

Gamma Ray Digital Inc

Opal

Aerial Filmworks

Paralinx LLC

rebotnix Technologies

Media Blackout - Custom Cables and AKS

Wooden Camera

Rig Wheels Passport

CineLab

The Slider

CineTape

Visual Products