Chris Lambert
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 31 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • London

Posted 30 November 2009 - 10:11 AM

Hello all

I was just wondering what people preferences over EF or Nikon lenses with this camera were? Is it better sticking with the stock? Forcing out the extra money on a Fuji wide lense? Is aperture control a problem with many of these lenses and ultimately is it worth it for either of the adapters?

I'm looking to get a wider lense than the stock that came with the camera but money is a problem at the moment.

#2 David Williams

David Williams
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 69 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Melbourne, Australia

Posted 30 November 2009 - 04:39 PM

I think there are a few data points that need filling before you get a useful answer? When you say EF and Nikon, are you direct mount or 35mm adapter? Which Fuji wide lens? What aperture control issue do you mean?

If you just want a good, practical wide angle, get the XS8x4 http://blog.abelcine...ns-for-the-ex3/

#3 Chris Lambert

Chris Lambert
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 31 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • London

Posted 05 December 2009 - 11:37 AM

I think there are a few data points that need filling before you get a useful answer? When you say EF and Nikon, are you direct mount or 35mm adapter? Which Fuji wide lens? What aperture control issue do you mean?

If you just want a good, practical wide angle, get the XS8x4 http://blog.abelcine...ns-for-the-ex3/

I was refering to the SLR lenses and the adapters that can be bought. As some SLR's have the iris contorl on the camera itself rather than the lense I was wondering how this would affect their functionality with the camera, or do some SLR lenses feature an iris ring?

I know and have seen little on the 35mm adapaters that are available for the camera.

I was talking in general about the fuji lenses, whether they were the best alternative to the above.

Cheers

#4 David Williams

David Williams
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 69 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Melbourne, Australia

Posted 05 December 2009 - 05:27 PM

Adding a 35mm adapter to get a wider is probably not a practical solution. The standard EX3 lens is roughly equivalent to 21mm Academy or 32mm full frame, and the XS8x4 works out as 14mm and 22mm. That's fairly wide already. Add and adapter, and you will lose around 2 to 3 stops at least, then the cost of getting a reasonably matched set of lenses, ones that function well with adapters as you've noted, and numerous other complexities as well.

http://www.rplens.com/ sell modified SLR lenses for use with 35mm adapters.

What are you shooting?

Edited by David Williams, 05 December 2009 - 05:27 PM.

Rig Wheels Passport

rebotnix Technologies

Ritter Battery

Gamma Ray Digital Inc

Tai Audio

Broadcast Solutions Inc

CineTape

Abel Cine

Paralinx LLC

Aerial Filmworks

FJS International, LLC

Metropolis Post