#1 Sanjit Majumdar

Sanjit Majumdar
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts
  • Cinematographer

Posted 30 November 2009 - 05:04 PM

Hi,
I just want to know your picks for the most visually striking digital films you all have seen. Please just don't include digital movies that look close to 35mm. I want to know your honest picks of the most interesting, beautiful, and dazzling digital films you all have seen. Remember, interesting, beautiful, and dazzling is not necessarily owned by 35mm film.

#2 Adrian Sierkowski

Adrian Sierkowski
  • Sustaining Members
  • 7117 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Los Angeles, Ca

Posted 30 November 2009 - 05:11 PM

Apocolypto is fantastic looking for a digital movie. I also enjoyed how Cloverfield used the notion/medium of Video. Also District 9 uses it pretty well.

#3 Chris Durham

Chris Durham
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 290 posts
  • 1st Assistant Camera
  • New York, NY

Posted 30 November 2009 - 05:18 PM

The Girlfriend Experience.

#4 Chance Shirley

Chance Shirley
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 256 posts
  • Director

Posted 02 December 2009 - 04:21 PM

Check out The Box, which might be still in theaters. They shot on the Genesis but went for a 1970s-style 35mm aesthetic. Pretty successfully, I might add.

#5 Michael Reed

Michael Reed
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts
  • Other
  • Providence, RI

Posted 02 December 2009 - 04:30 PM

* 28 Days Later
* StarWars

A few really good looking films shot on digital.

#6 Rob Vogt

Rob Vogt
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 437 posts
  • Other
  • New York

Posted 02 December 2009 - 08:10 PM

I would like to see Manure, but from the stills I've seen of it that should be on this list!

Also: Che
Benjamin Button
Zodiac

#7 Sean Bagley

Sean Bagley

New

• Basic Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Salt Lake City, UT

Posted 03 December 2009 - 11:17 AM

Yeah, I was just about to say Zodiac.

It's interesting to compare that film with Collateral because they shot a lot of similar content (night/ext) with the same camera, (although I believe Mann ended up using the F900 for some stuff on Collateral). But, they look entirely different. It all comes down to the color sampling I suppose. But, that's not to say Collateral doesn't look great, just a different feel to it.

Another good comparison, already partially mentioned is Che and his most recent, The Informant!, both look fantastic but definitely different--I think it has a lot to do with the vast difference in shooting in daylight vs. tungsten.

Thoughts?

*Edit: Despite what you think of the picture, a marvel in color and technical/digital production: Speed Racer, especially the last 10 minutes or so, a must see on Blu-Ray.

Edited by Sean Bagley, 03 December 2009 - 11:20 AM.

#8 Donald Wong

Donald Wong

New

• Basic Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
  • Other

Posted 03 December 2009 - 11:16 PM

Ones that I thought looked good: the last two Star Wars movies, Speed Racer, Zodiac, Benjamin Button, Knowing.

I was disappointed in the motion blur or image lag in several scenes in 2012, otherwise it looked pretty good.

#9 Glen Alexander

Glen Alexander
  • Guests

Posted 07 December 2009 - 08:52 PM

Best Looking Digital Movies???..... this is an oxymoron. Is this a trick question??

#10 Tom Lowe

Tom Lowe
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1211 posts
  • Director
  • somewhere worshipping Terrence Malick

Posted 07 December 2009 - 09:19 PM

Zodiac and Sith looked amazing, IMO.

With the new Arri and Red Epic cameras just around the corner, watch for this list to grow by leaps and bounds soon.

#11 Keith Walters

Keith Walters
  • Sustaining Members
  • 2219 posts
  • Other
  • Sydney Australia

Posted 07 December 2009 - 10:07 PM

Best Looking Digital Movies???..... this is an oxymoron. Is this a trick question??

Well, some still have to be better than others, surely.
But, my standout nomination would have to be "Kenny" (2006) .
People are always talking about video formats being ideally suited to the subject matter, and I can think of no finer example than the subject of this feature. :P

On the other hand, some of the other nominations on this thread are so painfully predictable I need to take a couple of aspirins before reading further :wacko:

#12 Keith Walters

Keith Walters
  • Sustaining Members
  • 2219 posts
  • Other
  • Sydney Australia

Posted 07 December 2009 - 10:11 PM

Zodiac and Sith looked amazing, IMO.

With the new Arri and Red Epic cameras just around the corner, watch for this list to grow by leaps and bounds soon.

Too late to save your $20 though. I fear that is lost forever.
Or are you hoping Stephen will go double-or-nothin' Mr Last-of-the-Big-Spenders Lowe? :lol:

#13 Glen Alexander

Glen Alexander
  • Guests

Posted 08 December 2009 - 02:25 PM

Well, some still have to be better than others, surely.
But, my standout nomination would have to be "Kenny" (2006) .
People are always talking about video formats being ideally suited to the subject matter, and I can think of no finer example than the subject of this feature. :P

Last time I was traveling, I watched some recent films and I just cringed. The amount of false reality, green screen to death crap. The space is so flat that's horrible. I haven't seen a film yet that does a decent job of video. Maybe because to make a flat space work, you need a good flat story, flat characters are easy, just follow Lucas' films. More 2-D characters, flatter than the event horizon of a black hole.

#14 Gregory Middleton

Gregory Middleton
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 78 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Vancouver BC

Posted 08 December 2009 - 05:13 PM

Hi,
I just want to know your picks for the most visually striking digital films you all have seen. Please just don't include digital movies that look close to 35mm. I want to know your honest picks of the most interesting, beautiful, and dazzling digital films you all have seen. Remember, interesting, beautiful, and dazzling is not necessarily owned by 35mm film.

The Curious Case of Benjamin Button, Zodiac, Apocalypto, Collateral, District 9 (best use of RED camera yet I think) and parts of Slumdog Millionaire.

For shameless self promotion check out the trailer for 'Possession' shot with Genesis 3 years ago. It remains unreleased after the Yari film Group went under.
Possession movie trailer

#15 Tom Lowe

Tom Lowe
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1211 posts
  • Director
  • somewhere worshipping Terrence Malick

Posted 08 December 2009 - 05:49 PM

Too late to save your $20 though. I fear that is lost forever.
Or are you hoping Stephen will go double-or-nothin' Mr Last-of-the-Big-Spenders Lowe? :lol:

Stephen would be wise not to count his chickens just yet! He thinks he's got this won, but the fat lady hasn't even begun warming up her vocal chords yet.... We still have more than a year to go. ;)

#16 Glen Alexander

Glen Alexander
  • Guests

Posted 08 December 2009 - 07:24 PM

On the other hand, some of the other nominations on this thread are so painfully predictable I need to take a couple of aspirins before reading further :wacko:

Keith,

Any thoughts on the film "Australia", any good? Just the Japanese bombing Darwin? ripoff of Rabbit Proof Fence?

Best Australian film besides Mad Max has to be Wolf Creek. "Like some wa'er from the North'rn Terri'try?"

#17 Ram Shani

Ram Shani
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 735 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • isreal

Posted 09 December 2009 - 07:51 AM

i recommend you to see'"three monkeys"

shoot with sony f-23

#18 Ram Shani

Ram Shani
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 735 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • isreal

Posted 09 December 2009 - 08:00 AM

link to HD trailer:
http://www.nbcfilm.c...ailer.php?mid=8

#19 adam ward

adam ward
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts
  • Steadicam Operator

Posted 11 December 2009 - 09:38 PM

Yeah, I was just about to say Zodiac.

It's interesting to compare that film with Collateral because they shot a lot of similar content (night/ext) with the same camera, (although I believe Mann ended up using the F900 for some stuff on Collateral). But, they look entirely different. It all comes down to the color sampling I suppose. But, that's not to say Collateral doesn't look great, just a different feel to it.

Another good comparison, already partially mentioned is Che and his most recent, The Informant!, both look fantastic but definitely different--I think it has a lot to do with the vast difference in shooting in daylight vs. tungsten.

Thoughts?

*Edit: Despite what you think of the picture, a marvel in color and technical/digital production: Speed Racer, especially the last 10 minutes or so, a must see on Blu-Ray.

The Informant??? Are you kidding?

#20 Keith Walters

Keith Walters
  • Sustaining Members
  • 2219 posts
  • Other
  • Sydney Australia

Posted 12 December 2009 - 01:47 AM

Keith,

Any thoughts on the film "Australia", any good? Just the Japanese bombing Darwin? ripoff of Rabbit Proof Fence?

Best Australian film besides Mad Max has to be Wolf Creek. "Like some wa'er from the North'rn Terri'try?"

I've never seen "Australia" or "Wolf Creek" but those who have tell me I didn't miss much.
Look it's a common misconception that everybody who works in the film industry must be a rabid film buff. This is far from the truth, as least as far as technical people go. We often stumble into the film world by accident, not because we are particularly interested in making movies.

I'm afraid I just can't handle most Australian films, because the producers (or backers) can't seem to let go of the notion that you absolutely have to make sure that even the most inbred Arkansas hillbilly and his wife/sister doesn't leave the thee-ay-ter understanding less than 98% of the story or dialogue.

The only Australian films I've liked have been ones that are specifically made for Australian Audiences, without concern about whether cousin Elmer in the Ozarks might not "get" it.

I can't stand Mel Gibson or Russell Magpie, and I really can't see what all the fuss is about over Nicole Kidman.

Rig Wheels Passport

Gamma Ray Digital Inc

Metropolis Post

Tai Audio

Ritter Battery

FJS International, LLC

Technodolly

Wooden Camera

CineTape

Opal

rebotnix Technologies

Glidecam