• Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Dallas, TX

Posted 02 December 2009 - 06:20 PM

Hi all,

Question,

Shooting a short soon and for some of the scenes we will not have a generator, but will have a 5K light. My question is how do you tie into a breaker box to get the necessary output to power the 5K? We are trying to get a grip/electrician out to do this safely, but not sure if that will happen. Is it too difficult and dangerous? I know a little about electricity and have knowledge, but have never done this before and want to be safe about it. Thanks all.

#2 Tom Jensen

Tom Jensen
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1234 posts
  • Camera Operator
  • Dallas, TX

Posted 02 December 2009 - 06:37 PM

Hi all,

Question,

Shooting a short soon and for some of the scenes we will not have a generator, but will have a 5K light. My question is how do you tie into a breaker box to get the necessary output to power the 5K? We are trying to get a grip/electrician out to do this safely, but not sure if that will happen. Is it too difficult and dangerous? I know a little about electricity and have knowledge, but have never done this before and want to be safe about it. Thanks all.

You don't tie into the breaker, you tie into the bars which is extremely dangerous because you do it hot. A person with experience can do it without much difficulty. I believe it is also illegal. I may be wrong. I would not attempt it, never having done it, without an experienced electrician. Even with an experienced guy, it is not always safe. I've seen the connectors slip.

#3 Adrian Sierkowski

Adrian Sierkowski
  • Sustaining Members
  • 7115 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Los Angeles, Ca

Posted 02 December 2009 - 06:40 PM

Legality of it depends on where in the US you are as it varies state to state. I would contact a local certified electrician.

Aerial Filmworks

Visual Products

Paralinx LLC

CineLab

Broadcast Solutions Inc

Wooden Camera

Technodolly

Tai Audio

rebotnix Technologies

CineTape

Opal

The Slider