#1 Brian Rose

Brian Rose
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 896 posts
  • Student
  • Kansas City area

Posted 04 December 2009 - 11:47 AM

Has anyone tried and had success haggling with bhphoto? Or getting something extra for what you pay?

I'm eyeing the EX1R, and I like buying through them, and I figured that since I've bought cameras from them in the past, and the EX1R is rather pricey, that I could use that as leverage, to say, "I'd really like this camera, but could you come down a few hundred? Or throw in a case?"

Or are there any other reputable dealers with lower prices?a

Any suggestions would be great!

#2 Paul Bruening

Paul Bruening

(deceased)

• Sustaining Members
  • 2858 posts
  • Producer
  • Oxford, Mississippi

Posted 04 December 2009 - 11:57 AM

I've never successfully haggled individual purchases with them. When I put together my boiler room's workstations I made two big volume purchases from them and schmoozed a 10% break on the second order. With times being so hard, they may be easier to haggle.

"This bloke won't 'aggle"

"Whaaaaat?!"

Attached Images

• life_of_brian_huggling.jpg

#3 Stephen Williams

Stephen Williams
  • Sustaining Members
  • 4708 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Europe

Posted 04 December 2009 - 12:07 PM

I've never successfully haggled individual purchases with them. When I put together my boiler room's workstations I made two big volume purchases from them and schmoozed a 10% break on the second order. With times being so hard, they may be easier to haggle.

"This bloke won't 'aggle"

"Whaaaaat?!"

Hi,

I know somebody who wanted to buy 100 DSLR's & 200 lenses for a Bullet time rig. After asking for a discount the sales person said everything you want is in stock, I am authorised to sell them so you can take it away with you now, if I ask my boss for a discount he may say I cant sell them to you, what would you like to do?

#4 Rob Vogt

Rob Vogt
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 437 posts
  • Other
  • New York

Posted 04 December 2009 - 08:39 PM

you'll have better luck with calumet if they have it.

#5 Steve Phipps

Steve Phipps
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 59 posts
  • Other

Posted 08 December 2009 - 12:27 AM

I tried twice (small orders), and succeeded once. My strategy was the same both times. I suppose success depends on the item(s) and the individual(s).

What I did was to call the store and speak to an actual person. I asked if they would match a lower price advertised by a reputable, (presumably) well-known competitor.

The item they said “Yes” to bargaining over was a Kenko extension-tube set for an SLR ~$150. Combined with an order of film and developing supplies, their offer was to meet me half-way.

I’ve forgotten what item they declined to haggle over. I think it was a DVR (maybe a laser-disc player?), but I don’t exactly remember.

Ritter Battery

Glidecam

Media Blackout - Custom Cables and AKS

Rig Wheels Passport

Paralinx LLC

Gamma Ray Digital Inc

Opal

rebotnix Technologies

Visual Products

Willys Widgets

The Slider

Tai Audio