#1 Mazin Elfehaid

Mazin Elfehaid

New

• Basic Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
  • Other

Posted 07 December 2009 - 09:45 AM

We are currently working on a corporate shoot, where we decided to mount a Nikon ED 17-35mm lens (f2.8) on an EX-3 using the MTF mount converter.

For some reason, however, we loose iris control with that setup (and that setup alone- other lenses work). The lens is flat stuck at 2.8.

It's a completely bizarre situation, as the iris IS being closed down (we checked it). But the amount of light entering the camera is not changing. At all.

It's almost as if its breaking the laws of physics. Does anyone have any ideas of why this might be happening?

#2 Mazin Elfehaid

Mazin Elfehaid

New

• Basic Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
  • Other

Posted 08 December 2009 - 09:34 AM

No replies?

It seems like everybody is just as baffled as we are. The only thing I can think is that it's a problem with the lens (or some kind of issue with the conversion)... but as stated, the Iris is indeed opening and closing.

It just doesn't make sense!

#3 David Williams

David Williams
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 69 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Melbourne, Australia

Posted 08 December 2009 - 04:13 PM

Not having used a Nikon ED I can only speculate. Is it an auto iris lens? The MTF won't pass power to the iris motor. Do the iris blades move at all when looking down the lens while mounted?

#4 Mazin Elfehaid

Mazin Elfehaid

New

• Basic Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
  • Other

Posted 11 December 2009 - 04:55 AM

Not having used a Nikon ED I can only speculate. Is it an auto iris lens? The MTF won't pass power to the iris motor. Do the iris blades move at all when looking down the lens while mounted?

We are pretty new to the concept of mounting stills lenses on a video camera (still seems like an odd thing to do, to be honest). In any case, is it possible that the lens requires power in order for the Iris controls to work? That doesn't seem to make much sense to me, but I suppose it could explain the fact that the iris blades do not move while mounted.

#5 Mark John

Mark John

New

• Basic Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts
  • Other

Posted 22 December 2009 - 02:42 AM

What is your adapter model?

For quick (not professional) solution to be able to use this lens with your adapter, you should open the iris manually

فك العدسة وانا اخوك وبتلقى اصيبع صغيرون حق فتحة العدسة من الخلف إذا حركته بيرجع تلقائي لمكانه جب قطنه والا منديل صغير وافتح لآخر شي وثبت الوضعية بالمنديل

قل بسم الله وصور

your brother
القصيمي

Edited by Mark John, 22 December 2009 - 02:44 AM.

Ritter Battery

Gamma Ray Digital Inc

Tai Audio

Broadcast Solutions Inc

Abel Cine

CineLab

Glidecam

Media Blackout - Custom Cables and AKS

Opal

Paralinx LLC

Wooden Camera

Rig Wheels Passport