Anton Delfino
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 54 posts
  • Other
  • San Francisco

Posted 07 December 2009 - 04:05 PM

Hey Guys -

I've been watching some of Mark Romanek's videos thought about the video he did for Weezer's El Scorcho

I'm thinking of putting something together that falls along the same lines, except a lo-fi (ie. low-budget) version with less practicals. Could you get away w/ just a flicker box, strobe light, and some manual on-offing of lamps plugged into lunchboxes? Would this erratic action stress the breakers at all?

Any info/insight you could provide would be very much appreciated.

Thanks!

-anton

#2 JD Hartman

JD Hartman
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1690 posts
  • Gaffer
  • Edison, N.J. U.S.A.

Posted 07 December 2009 - 07:08 PM

Anton,
A small DJ type lighting board will have a number of programmed routines, chase,ramp up, ramp down, random flash that you can asign to various channels, unfortunatly only one routine can run at a time. Like: http://www.mbtlighti...FTOKEN=47962994
or take a look in the DJ section of a well stocked music store.

JD

Hey Guys -

I've been watching some of Mark Romanek's videos thought about the video he did for Weezer's El Scorcho

I'm thinking of putting something together that falls along the same lines, except a lo-fi (ie. low-budget) version with less practicals. Could you get away w/ just a flicker box, strobe light, and some manual on-offing of lamps plugged into lunchboxes? Would this erratic action stress the breakers at all?

Any info/insight you could provide would be very much appreciated.

Thanks!

-anton

#3 Anton Delfino

Anton Delfino
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 54 posts
  • Other
  • San Francisco

Posted 09 December 2009 - 04:03 AM

Hey JD -

Thanks for the reply. Hmm, I wonder why I never thought of that since I used to run a mobile DJ service for years! We were small time so we never had the extra cash to get real fancy with our lighting. I do remember having some cool lights that you could patch into a board (and were programmable) but never got the actual unit itself. I'll definitely take a look.

Hope you're well.

- anton

Anton,
A small DJ type lighting board will have a number of programmed routines, chase,ramp up, ramp down, random flash that you can asign to various channels, unfortunatly only one routine can run at a time. Like: http://www.mbtlighti...FTOKEN=47962994
or take a look in the DJ section of a well stocked music store.

JD

#4 JD Hartman

JD Hartman
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1690 posts
  • Gaffer
  • Edison, N.J. U.S.A.

Posted 12 December 2009 - 01:22 PM

Let me know what you pick up. I've looked at the small 4 channel dimmer/controllers before, but found they were kind of limited in watts per channel. I guess you could always get a small light board and separate dimmer packs, maybe the capability to handle intelligent lighting as well.
Works been a little slow lately.

#5 Anton Delfino

Anton Delfino
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 54 posts
  • Other
  • San Francisco

Posted 15 December 2009 - 02:04 AM

As with many no-low budget music videos, it fell through. Oh well, next time.

Let me know what you pick up. I've looked at the small 4 channel dimmer/controllers before, but found they were kind of limited in watts per channel. I guess you could always get a small light board and separate dimmer packs, maybe the capability to handle intelligent lighting as well.
Works been a little slow lately.

The Slider

Paralinx LLC

CineTape

Rig Wheels Passport

CineLab

Tai Audio

Willys Widgets

Visual Products

rebotnix Technologies

Opal

Media Blackout - Custom Cables and AKS