Photo

Intervalometer remote HD recording at 30p ?

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 DGusset

DGusset

New

• Basic Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Canada

Posted 09 December 2009 - 07:53 PM

I'm trying to find a way of doing interval recording, shooting HD 24-30fps shots, at regular intervals over a period of days or weeks, remotely (or by leaving the set-up in a lock-off position which could be powered up once a day). Not one-frame-at-a-time for stop-motion, but shots captured at 30fps in HD, shot at a regular interval, and captured to tape or memory stick, or ext. hard drive, or whatever.
This is a sequence for an HD broadcast documentary:
Ideally, I would have a HD camcorder ( at least 1/3"ccd or cmos) in a lock-off position to record 30 sec or 1-5 minute-long shots (at 24p,30p, or 60i), at regular intervals (say, every 10 or 30 minutes) over a period of 10 hrs at a time, and up to 5-10 days.
Most intervalometers in semi/professional camcorders shoot 1-6 frames at a time (max) with pause intervals up to 10 minutes....(the Panasonic HDX900 is the only camera I know of which will shoot up to 59sec29f shots (basically 1 min at 30p) at regular pause intervals up to 5 days - but the rental $$ becomes an issue if you want the set-up long-term). Most software is for frame-capture to be used stop-motion, not capturing 30 fps.

Does anyone know of a semi/prosumer HD camcorder which can do this, or a software which can be connected to a camera, to be used ?
(There is similar software which captures images from security camera systems , but not in HD at 30 fps, for non IP cameras.
I'm stumped.......

#2 Howard Matthews

Howard Matthews

New

• Basic Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts
  • Producer

Posted 10 December 2009 - 05:28 AM

OK, I'm a little biased (having just bought one) but the Canon 7D would be my first guess for your needs. I don't think there's an off-the-shelf solution, but this camera does lend itself to this sort of hacking, particularly as it only needs one button pressing to both switch the camera on and to start and stop recording.

If you can afford to get a camera body you can void the warranty on then you can wire directly to the switch, but if not then your nearest electronics guy ought to be able to build you a simple solenoid button-presser for it, and then it just needs a simple (perhaps Arduino-based) circuit to act as the timer.

However you approach this there's going to be some custom hardware/software needed but the 7D makes it a relatively simple job.

#3 DGusset

DGusset

New

• Basic Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Canada

Posted 10 December 2009 - 09:38 AM

OK, I'm a little biased (having just bought one) but the Canon 7D would be my first guess for your needs........

Thank you for this suggestion, I will look into the Canon 7D further.... (I was aware that Canon powershots can be hacked, though I've never tried it, but I haven't really looked into these new DSLRs as possible HD video tools). More research to do......
Thanks again :)

CineLab

Aerial Filmworks

Gamma Ray Digital Inc

Abel Cine

rebotnix Technologies

Technodolly

Visual Products

Ritter Battery

CineTape

Opal

Glidecam