#1 Joe nelson

Joe nelson

New

• Basic Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
  • Steadicam Operator

Posted 15 December 2009 - 10:06 PM

So this is my first post. I go to an arts school here in canada and I have taken video class for 2 years now. I'm learing at a grade 12 level but am only in grade 9. So I've gotten a real grasp on video. I am working with a glidecam and a Panasonic DVX100. I also use a jib...
I have a little JVC everio with new a telephoto lens and a wide angle lens. I also bought a larger battery for it. I plan to sell it sometime soon. But... I am looking for a new camera that will meet my needs. I have been looking at cameras/camcorders in the $1,000-$7,000 range. I Need one that records on SDHD cards like the JVC GY-HM700 or a HDD/Built in or external hard drive. I just don't want to fuss with tapes any more... I looked a JVC GY-HM700 and it seems good. But I'm wondering how it shoots and the outcome of the video. Because I saw some examples on vimeo.com and they just don't seem to have the movie style look, but without a 35mm adapter... But like I said, I'm looking for a camera like that or is it a good camera but it just needs to be set right?You guys are the pro's here...Help please!?! Thanks! Happy Holidays!

#2 Chris Burke

Chris Burke
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1726 posts
  • Boston, MA

Posted 16 December 2009 - 01:25 PM

So this is my first post. I go to an arts school here in canada and I have taken video class for 2 years now. I'm learing at a grade 12 level but am only in grade 9. So I've gotten a real grasp on video. I am working with a glidecam and a Panasonic DVX100. I also use a jib...
I have a little JVC everio with new a telephoto lens and a wide angle lens. I also bought a larger battery for it. I plan to sell it sometime soon. But... I am looking for a new camera that will meet my needs. I have been looking at cameras/camcorders in the $1,000-$7,000 range. I Need one that records on SDHD cards like the JVC GY-HM700 or a HDD/Built in or external hard drive. I just don't want to fuss with tapes any more... I looked a JVC GY-HM700 and it seems good. But I'm wondering how it shoots and the outcome of the video. Because I saw some examples on vimeo.com and they just don't seem to have the movie style look, but without a 35mm adapter... But like I said, I'm looking for a camera like that or is it a good camera but it just needs to be set right?You guys are the pro's here...Help please!?! Thanks! Happy Holidays!

I'd go with a canon 7d or a killer super 8 set up. 7k buys a lot of camera these days. Super 8 is great for students cause you can shoot, edit and project the very film you will use. It is a great way to learn about economy and preparation for a filmmaking. 7D on the digital end, seems to be a great buy for your buck, plus all that canon glass you can use.

#3 Paul Bruening

Paul Bruening

(deceased)

• Sustaining Members
  • 2858 posts
  • Producer
  • Oxford, Mississippi

Posted 16 December 2009 - 03:31 PM

I'd go with a canon 7d or a killer super 8 set up. 7k buys a lot of camera these days. Super 8 is great for students cause you can shoot, edit and project the very film you will use. It is a great way to learn about economy and preparation for a filmmaking. 7D on the digital end, seems to be a great buy for your buck, plus all that canon glass you can use.

The Canon T1i does HD and is a lot cheaper. I haven't done the full research on it to determine the level of controls available on it. But, it's a little closer to student pricing. You can learn about film by picking up a nice used SLR. I love my Nikon FM2. Then, rent a cost effective MOS camera to learn the few remaining cine film things.

Tai Audio

Abel Cine

Broadcast Solutions Inc

rebotnix Technologies

FJS International, LLC

Glidecam

The Slider

Rig Wheels Passport

Aerial Filmworks

CineTape

CineLab

Paralinx LLC