Vincent LAM
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Hong kong SAR/ Beijing China

Posted 16 December 2009 - 01:41 AM

Hi,
i've seen some of them look like film, nice contrast and gamma.
anyone would like to share some picture style preset..?
many thx

V

#2 Satsuki Murashige

Satsuki Murashige
  • Sustaining Members
  • 3510 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • San Francisco, CA

Posted 16 December 2009 - 02:26 AM

I usually use:

Picture Style: Neutral
Sharpness: +2
Contrast: -4
Saturation: -2
Tint: 0

Seems to work well. Haven't tried custom curves yet. The different picture styles seem to use different gammas and knee compression, Neutral doesn't roll highlights off very gracefully but seems to retain the most detail.

#3 Phil Rhodes

Phil Rhodes
  • Sustaining Members
  • 11937 posts
  • Other

Posted 16 December 2009 - 12:51 PM

As far as I can tell the most important thing was to knock saturation back a bit and minimise contrast.

I only did a review of the thing but the pictures are subjectively quite nice if you do that.

The default picture style is appalling, clippy and nasty - I have no idea who designed it but it is lethally bad.

P

#4 Ryan Thomas

Ryan Thomas
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 85 posts
  • Grip
  • San Francisco

Posted 17 December 2009 - 12:35 AM

I usually use:

Seems to work well. Haven't tried custom curves yet. The different picture styles seem to use different gammas and knee compression, Neutral doesn't roll highlights off very gracefully but seems to retain the most detail.

Yeah, I just found that super flat01 picture style and the Marvel picture style. Once I finally get a lens of my own for my camera I'm interested in doing some tests and seeing how it handles things compared to the neutral picture style.

#5 Satsuki Murashige

Satsuki Murashige
  • Sustaining Members
  • 3510 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • San Francisco, CA

Posted 17 December 2009 - 02:07 AM

Yeah, I just found that super flat01 picture style and the Marvel picture style. Once I finally get a lens of my own for my camera I'm interested in doing some tests and seeing how it handles things compared to the neutral picture style.

Watch out when using the "super flat" curves, I hear they can do some weird things to skin tones once the contrast is dialed back in during post.

When am I gonna get my CF card back, Ryan? Hope you like the footage from the shoot, sorry about getting mud on your new camera. :)

#6 Ram Shani

Ram Shani
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 735 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • isreal

Posted 18 December 2009 - 05:43 AM

read all about it:

http://www.cinema5d....php?f=14&t=3401

#7 ryan knight

ryan knight
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 115 posts
  • Cinematographer

Posted 26 January 2010 - 06:51 PM

how do the two compare to each other?

does the 5D MKII's bigger sensor blow the 7D out of the water, or are the MKII's images only marginally cleaner/crisper/(enter your own adjective here) than the 7D's?

#8 Satsuki Murashige

Satsuki Murashige
  • Sustaining Members
  • 3510 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • San Francisco, CA

Posted 27 January 2010 - 04:08 AM

how do the two compare to each other?

does the 5D MKII's bigger sensor blow the 7D out of the water, or are the MKII's images only marginally cleaner/crisper/(enter your own adjective here) than the 7D's?

the 5d is marginally cleaner and sharper at higher iso. At 100-400iso, they are virtually indistinguishable (other than framerate and field of view).

#9 ryan knight

ryan knight
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 115 posts
  • Cinematographer

Posted 27 January 2010 - 10:40 AM

the 5d is marginally cleaner and sharper at higher iso. At 100-400iso, they are virtually indistinguishable (other than framerate and field of view).

really? only marginally? would better optics (on both, compared) make the 5D shine more, or would it stay rather insignificant?

#10 Satsuki Murashige

Satsuki Murashige
  • Sustaining Members
  • 3510 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • San Francisco, CA

Posted 27 January 2010 - 06:04 PM

really? only marginally? would better optics (on both, compared) make the 5D shine more, or would it stay rather insignificant?

Hard to say. I was working on a music vid on which we were intercutting two 7Ds and one 5D using Canon L glass, as well nikon, pentax, and sigma glass. It all looked fine at 1080. Maybe zeiss, panavision, or leica glass would make more of a difference, I dunno.

#11 Ram Shani

Ram Shani
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 735 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • isreal

Posted 28 January 2010 - 02:49 AM

i use the superflat for over 6 projects and i just love it
and what it do to the skin tone
it tried over 20 setups and superflat is the best

#12 Joshua Camp

Joshua Camp

New

• Basic Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
  • Cinematographer

Posted 26 November 2010 - 03:02 PM

I have written about our complaints with Superflat, cine-gamma, and some of the others out there and posted our response in the form of a free picture style. Let me know what you think..
Posted Image

Free Download:

Shutter Down Pancake Picture Style for Canon

#13 Hal Smith

Hal Smith
  • Sustaining Members
  • 2280 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • OKC area

Posted 26 November 2010 - 05:21 PM

Both photos would have been improved with a little powder on the subjects. No camera system is perfect but a good makeup artist can help work around a given system's problems with skin tone rendition and excessive highlights.

Many of the pros shooting the Canon HDSLR's have come to the conclusion that "Getting the Shot in the Camera" is the best approach since its 8bit H.264 files are so fragile in post. I've shot a lot of color reversal over the years, I shoot with my 7D imagining it's loaded with Ektachrome to stay within the camera's available dynamic range. That's working out pretty well for me.

#14 Hampus Bystrom

Hampus Bystrom
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 132 posts
  • Student
  • Stocktown

Posted 26 November 2010 - 06:02 PM

Don't use superflat, at least not when trying to deduce exposure. Numerous times my DP have wrongly judged the exposure because the curve is so flattened at both ends, when trying to gauge the exposure I would suggest using Satsuki's settings and then switching over to superflat just before shooting. Shane Hurlbut talks about this on his blog.

#15 Bill Totolo

Bill Totolo
  • Sustaining Members
  • 698 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Los Angeles, CA

Posted 27 November 2010 - 02:24 PM

I usually use:

My humble opinion is to knock down sharpness in camera and manage that in post. Seems to help w/ moire issues. I use a 5D.

#16 Joshua Camp

Joshua Camp

New

• Basic Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
  • Cinematographer

Posted 26 December 2010 - 02:40 AM

Both photos would have been improved with a little powder on the subjects. No camera system is perfect but a good makeup artist can help work around a given system's problems with skin tone rendition and excessive highlights.

This is actually a single frame from a nightclub shoot. No possibility of make-up in natural settings.

CineTape

Visual Products

Tai Audio

Gamma Ray Digital Inc

Wooden Camera

Technodolly

Media Blackout - Custom Cables and AKS

Ritter Battery

Willys Widgets

FJS International, LLC

CineLab

The Slider