No replies to this topic

#1 Keneu Luca

Keneu Luca
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 440 posts
  • Other

Posted 16 December 2009 - 09:23 PM

I am planning an upcoming short film and my mind began to drift as to how I would create a trailer for the film. At this point in time, I have no intention on making the film available to be viewed online. But I will post a trailer.

When someone posts a trailer for their short, I often read criticism that it is not following the traditional model for theatrical trailers for full length feature films. This website has trailer links with such feedback. You've probably read such feedback, or perhaps you have made such criticism.

Trailers made for shorts that will be posted online need not adhere to the decades old tradition that theatrical trailers and brief TV spots have followed. They are different animals.

Those professional trailers we have watched for much of our lives were largely dictated by legal limitations, strict time constraints, and their own "trailer budget". Indeed, professional trailers for theatrical films that are shown in theaters and on national television require a budget of their own and follow an integrated marketing strategy.

But independent filmmakers who simply cut trailers from their own footage without hiring voiceover talent, creating sophisticated graphics and using copywritten music are free from all those restrictions.

It is however because of those restrictions that we have come to expect trailers to look and sound and flow a certain way.

I believe a new open mind is required when watching an indie non-theatrical trailer. Sure, some of the same guidelines may be worth following when creating an indie trailer, but let us realize that a trailer doesn't really have to be or do anything except leave you wanting more.

Edited by Keneu Luca, 16 December 2009 - 09:28 PM.

Broadcast Solutions Inc

Glidecam

Willys Widgets

Aerial Filmworks

Wooden Camera

Visual Products

Paralinx LLC

rebotnix Technologies

Tai Audio

The Slider

Ritter Battery

Abel Cine