#1 James Steven Beverly

James Steven Beverly
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4199 posts
  • Director
  • El Paso, Texas

Posted 18 December 2009 - 03:07 AM

I have always been amazed at films that seem to transcend time and for the last few years I have been wondering what it is about Brian De Palma's Scarface that so resonates with people who were not even born when the film was made. This film seems to be the hip hop, gangsta Star Wars. A friend of mine even told me a painting of Al Pacino as Tony Montana that was being sold along side Picassos and Rembrandts. A guy I know has the posters in his body-shop and he's about 25 or so. It is truly a great movie, but there are a lot of great movies including many films about drug dealer heroes. Pacino's performance is epic and iconic and I could never see another actor in that role and the whole concept of becoming super rich and powerful by becoming a gangster may actually be the appeal maybe it's just the iconic tough guy, play by his own rules and screw the world attitude that is Montana. In the end, it is a brilliant piece of acting and film making.

#2 K Borowski

K Borowski
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3905 posts
  • Camera Operator
  • I.A.T.S.E. Local # 600 Eastern Region

Posted 18 December 2009 - 10:13 AM

Lol. I always find it funny how rappers seem to idolize this movie and the Tony Montana character in particular. I think it was Eve who completely rebuilt a mockup of the boss, forget his name, 's house complete with glass elevator.

Apparantly the late Saddam Hussein was also a huge fan of this film. He named his national bank Montana Realty Company (or was it Real Estate?) in homage to this film.

I guess neither Hussein or the rappers that idolize Tony bothered to watch the ending of the film, but I digress.

I think certain parts of this film are dated, but I think the color scheme (the part of the film where Tony visits the boss's wife by the poolside) is some of the finest color cinematography I have seen from that period.

#3 Dave Kovacs

Dave Kovacs
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts
  • Cinematographer

Posted 18 December 2009 - 02:34 PM

It's all about the coked up spending spree....... PUSH IT TO THE LIMIT ..THE LIMIT!!!!!! Man, the 80's were truly dope (snort..oh yeah!) ;) . Man, what happened to all the positive reinforcement music like that.
Eye of the Tiger, Highway to the Dangerzone!!! Good ol' 80's music. Sometimes I miss it.

#4 Adrian Sierkowski

Adrian Sierkowski
  • Sustaining Members
  • 7117 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Los Angeles, Ca

Posted 18 December 2009 - 07:08 PM

A lot of that music still happily resides on my Zune.. (yes I have a Zune...) and is quite wonderful when blasting through my 1987 cutlass ciera on the highway.
As for the idolization, I think it's all about being macho and "in charge," via fear and intimidation that gets people gaga over it...

#5 James Steven Beverly

James Steven Beverly
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4199 posts
  • Director
  • El Paso, Texas

Posted 19 December 2009 - 04:49 AM

I lived in LA during the 80s it was about money for a lot of it. Ronnie as president wasn't very peace and love friendly and the LAPD under Darrell Gates was a joke. Half those storm troopers were on 'roids, they had drug rings, prostitution rings, murder for hire rings, in fact many of my friends used to tell me if you wanted to buy the best dope, find a cop. But I LOVED LA, it just got too expensive to live there. I, personally, didn't see that much coke. Most of my friends were into health and fitness. I know Miami at that time was dangerous as Hell, when Castro emptied his prisons and sent the boat people over. It's still kinda crazy down there. I guess I can't say too much though, The news the other day called Juarez the most dangerous city in the world with 1600 people killed last year over 800 killed this year and it's maybe 20 miles from me. FORTUNATELY the drug war hasn't spilled over here. But I digress. :D

Abel Cine

Rig Wheels Passport

Opal

The Slider

Broadcast Solutions Inc

Visual Products

Metropolis Post

Media Blackout - Custom Cables and AKS

Tai Audio

CineTape

rebotnix Technologies

Glidecam