Photo

Newbie question... Can I use expired rolls of super 8 film?

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Woki Lopez

Woki Lopez

New

• Basic Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts
  • Other

Posted 19 December 2009 - 07:12 PM

Hi, all... I just purchased my first Super 8 camera and have not received it yet. It is coming with 3 rolls of unexposed sealed film, I don't know the expirations, but I was just wondering if it is still usable... I know I've seen people use expired film before, but is there a cut-off year that before that you cant use it or can you use age just with degradation of image quality... Also would using old film possibly damage the camera???

Thanks ahead of time... :)

#2 Charles MacDonald

Charles MacDonald
  • Sustaining Members
  • 1157 posts
  • Other
  • Stittsville Ontario Canada

Posted 19 December 2009 - 09:31 PM

Hi, all... I just purchased my first Super 8 camera and have not received it yet. It is coming with 3 rolls of unexposed sealed film, I don't know the expirations, but I was just wondering if it is still usable... I know I've seen people use expired film before, but is there a cut-off year that before that you cant use it or can you use age just with degradation of image quality... Also would using old film possibly damage the camera???

Depends on how old and how it is stored, also if there is processing available for the film in question Something kept in a shed in Arizona will be junk long BEFORE the expiration date, while carefully frozen film can be good for 15 years. The expiration date is more concerned with photographic propewrties, the psyical properties cange much more solwly, so it is unlikly that even film from 1964 (the Dawn of Super 8) would damage the camera, however it would lily not work and the processing is likly not available.

#3 andres victorero

andres victorero
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 412 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Spain

Posted 10 January 2010 - 04:41 AM

New super 8 carts are cheap so unless you find a lot of film with recently expired data I think that is not a good idea

#4 John Sprung

John Sprung
  • Sustaining Members
  • 4635 posts
  • Other

Posted 11 January 2010 - 05:37 PM

Since this is a first camera and a learning experience, shoot the first roll as tests and practice. Based on that you'll have a reasonable guess as to how good the other two are. As long as they're still sealed, they won't hurt the camera.

-- J.S.

Ritter Battery

Paralinx LLC

Aerial Filmworks

Technodolly

Wooden Camera

rebotnix Technologies

CineLab

Media Blackout - Custom Cables and AKS

CineTape

Willys Widgets

Broadcast Solutions Inc