#1 Janne Pulkkila

Janne Pulkkila
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts
  • Director
  • Finland

Posted 27 December 2009 - 07:39 AM

Intervalometers and many others for sale. I'm trying to balance between the thin line of advertising and just being informative. You can take a look at them on the link by yourself:

www.kinokone.fi

I have some new things coming up but also looking for new ideas for new gadgets. All of those devices were made for some need that came up. An example is the film camera to video camera interface (or how should I call it). I've had this problem several times: How to record sync sound effects while filming on film (a skateboarding film as a practical example). I thought once that I could shoot on 16 mm film and record sound with a camcorder at the same time. However, trying to operate both cameras didn't work at all. As a solution I built this interface box between the film camera and the video camera. It works with super-8 cameras too.

Posted Image

The idea is very simple. When you start the film camera, a recording command is sent to the video camera. The video camera stops automatically when the shooting is finished. In other words, the film camera and the video camera always shoot at the same time.

#2 thomas-english

thomas-english
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 99 posts
  • Steadicam Operator

Posted 27 December 2009 - 09:53 AM

This looks nice. We steadicam Operators have a similar problem. Turning over the video camera or Archos that records our live feed from the film camera for playback.

What Film cameras is this compatible with?

What Video Cameras is this compatible with?

Thanks

#3 Mike Lary

Mike Lary
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 472 posts
  • Other

Posted 27 December 2009 - 10:59 AM

That looks interesting. Does it record a tone at camera startup to help with syncing?

#4 Janne Pulkkila

Janne Pulkkila
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts
  • Director
  • Finland

Posted 31 December 2009 - 05:48 AM

That looks interesting. Does it record a tone at camera startup to help with syncing?

This version has a buzzer but I think I will add a tone generator.

#5 Janne Pulkkila

Janne Pulkkila
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts
  • Director
  • Finland

Posted 31 December 2009 - 05:53 AM

What Film cameras is this compatible with?

Any cameras that can output an electrical indication that the camera is running. The signal can be constant voltage, frame pulses, an input pin connected to ground briefly, or 50/60 Hz pilot tone.

What Video Cameras is this compatible with?

What video cameras it should be compatible with? It has a LANC output and also a single start and stop pulse that can be fed to the release cable socket on, for example, Panasonic cameras.

#6 Michael Collier

Michael Collier
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1262 posts
  • Gaffer
  • Los Angeles, CA

Posted 31 December 2009 - 02:11 PM

Looks like some useful products. Do you shoot too? I love the creativity and intelligence of film makers! Looking at your site though I realize I have a while to go....I need a few more products under my belt. If every cinematographer/gaffer/key grip made one thing that makes life easier, the science of film making would evolve much faster (and better than it does when corporations without field experience advance the line)

Keep it up!

#7 Chris Millar

Chris Millar
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1642 posts
  • Other

Posted 01 January 2010 - 03:24 AM

If every cinematographer/gaffer/key grip made one thing that makes life easier, the science of film making would evolve much faster

I agree, just that the patience for this kind of thing has to be pretty high - it aint that glamorous huh :P

#8 Janne Pulkkila

Janne Pulkkila
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts
  • Director
  • Finland

Posted 06 January 2010 - 05:02 AM

Do you shoot too?

Filmmaking became first and building more or less useful accessories kind of evolved from it as a side product.

Update: 1 kHz sync mark output added on K-SBL.

Technodolly

Aerial Filmworks

Willys Widgets

Gamma Ray Digital Inc

Rig Wheels Passport

FJS International, LLC

Media Blackout - Custom Cables and AKS

Metropolis Post

Abel Cine

The Slider

CineLab

Opal