konstantin smola
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts
  • Cinematographer

Posted 28 December 2009 - 04:32 PM

Hi,
Today I got my Arri SR2 HS.
I tried to charge the batteries, and have a question about the charger.
I found out that I can plug one of the battery-cables in the charging unit, and then both LEDs light up. But what is this good for?

Thanks!
[attachment=5925:2.jpg]

#2 Tim Carroll

Tim Carroll
  • Sustaining Members
  • 2165 posts
  • Other
  • Chicago, Illinois

Posted 28 December 2009 - 08:29 PM

Today I got my Arri SR2 HS.

Konstantin,

Congratulations on your new camera.

It's been years since I used one of those ARRI chargers, but if memory serves, you plug one charger cable into the center socket when you are only charging one battery (instead of two). I don't remember if it then charges the one battery faster, or you do it so the charger doesn't get damaged by only loading one charger cable.

Sorry I don't remember it more clearly.

Best,
-Tim

#3 konstantin smola

konstantin smola
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts
  • Cinematographer

Posted 02 January 2010 - 10:11 AM

Konstantin,

Congratulations on your new camera.

It's been years since I used one of those ARRI chargers, but if memory serves, you plug one charger cable into the center socket when you are only charging one battery (instead of two). I don't remember if it then charges the one battery faster, or you do it so the charger doesn't get damaged by only loading one charger cable.

Sorry I don't remember it more clearly.

Best,
-Tim

Thanks!
I tried to charge the batteries, and it seemed to work correctly.
But when I let the charger cool down again (unplug and wait a few minutes) I can charge the batteries again - Plug everything in, both LEDs light up and the Batteries get warm. After a few hours the LEDs go off. I could repeat that a dozen times. But when are the Batteries fully charged?
Thanks!

#4 Tim Carroll

Tim Carroll
  • Sustaining Members
  • 2165 posts
  • Other
  • Chicago, Illinois

Posted 02 January 2010 - 10:39 AM

Again, I'm a little fuzzy on this, but if memory serves, the charger has a built in timer. It is not like some of the latest chargers which sense the battery's charge and adjust accordingly.

IIRC the timer starts a charging cycle when you plug the charger into the wall and the battery into the charger. It charges for a set period of time, then shuts off, regardless of what charge the battery has. Get yourself a volt meter to check the charge on the batteries. When they get low, run a charging cycle with the charger. I used to run a charging cycle with my SR batteries once a month when the camera was not in use, and more frequently when the camera was being used.

Best,
-Tim

#5 konstantin smola

konstantin smola
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts
  • Cinematographer

Posted 02 January 2010 - 10:51 AM

Again, I'm a little fuzzy on this, but if memory serves, the charger has a built in timer. It is not like some of the latest chargers which sense the battery's charge and adjust accordingly.

IIRC the timer starts a charging cycle when you plug the charger into the wall and the battery into the charger. It charges for a set period of time, then shuts off, regardless of what charge the battery has. Get yourself a volt meter to check the charge on the batteries. When they get low, run a charging cycle with the charger. I used to run a charging cycle with my SR batteries once a month when the camera was not in use, and more frequently when the camera was being used.

Best,
-Tim

That sounds good! Thanks for the hint!

#6 Dom Jaeger

Dom Jaeger
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1605 posts
  • Other
  • Melbourne, Australia

Posted 19 May 2010 - 02:31 AM

Tim is correct, the charger has a timer. Unplugging the unit for 15 seconds or so resets it. By plugging one lead into the centre socket the unit switches to a fast charge cycle.

Paralinx LLC

The Slider

Visual Products

Tai Audio

Ritter Battery

Rig Wheels Passport

CineTape

rebotnix Technologies

Gamma Ray Digital Inc

Technodolly

Metropolis Post

Wooden Camera