#1 Peter Borrud

Peter Borrud

New

• Basic Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
  • Cinematographer

Posted 31 December 2009 - 09:51 PM

I've had a 7D for a little over a month now and I'm wondering, does anyone else notice a kind of odd motion blur that doesn't look like a film or HD camera does? I know it has a rolling shutter and gets jello-y when panned to fast, but I'm wondering why the motion blur at 1/50 seems blurrier than shooting on a normal HD camera at 1/50?

I've seen a lot of things online, and the handheld shots look the most pronounced and particularly when its a closeup of a person. These are all at 1/50th and 24p that I'm referring to. Does anyone have a good idea how to minimize the motion blur? Is there maybe something you could do in After FX to change the motion slightly? Or should I just try to raise the shutter speed more?

#2 K Borowski

K Borowski
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3905 posts
  • Camera Operator
  • I.A.T.S.E. Local # 600 Eastern Region

Posted 31 December 2009 - 09:58 PM

Focal plane shutter vs cine shutter, I am guessing?

#3 ryan knight

ryan knight
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 115 posts
  • Cinematographer

Posted 23 January 2010 - 05:04 PM

I've had a 7D for a little over a month now and I'm wondering, does anyone else notice a kind of odd motion blur that doesn't look like a film or HD camera does? I know it has a rolling shutter and gets jello-y when panned to fast, but I'm wondering why the motion blur at 1/50 seems blurrier than shooting on a normal HD camera at 1/50?

I've seen a lot of things online, and the handheld shots look the most pronounced and particularly when its a closeup of a person. These are all at 1/50th and 24p that I'm referring to. Does anyone have a good idea how to minimize the motion blur? Is there maybe something you could do in After FX to change the motion slightly? Or should I just try to raise the shutter speed more?

i completely agree. i'm thinking of buying a 7D but am not sold yet on it's 24P efforts. i wonder if closing the shutter to 1/60th may help.

#4 John Sprung

John Sprung
  • Sustaining Members
  • 4635 posts
  • Other

Posted 23 January 2010 - 10:32 PM

Shoot some tests of uniform fairly rapid motion and single frame through the parts that seem strange. Upload the interesting stuff here if you find any.

-- J.S.

#5 Satsuki Murashige

Satsuki Murashige
  • Sustaining Members
  • 3510 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • San Francisco, CA

Posted 24 January 2010 - 08:53 PM

i completely agree. i'm thinking of buying a 7D but am not sold yet on it's 24P efforts. i wonder if closing the shutter to 1/60th may help.

I've noticed this too. 1/60 does help.

CineTape

Willys Widgets

Media Blackout - Custom Cables and AKS

Paralinx LLC

Rig Wheels Passport

Opal

The Slider

Technodolly

Glidecam

FJS International, LLC

Metropolis Post