7 replies to this topic

#1 georg lamshöft

georg lamshöft
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 310 posts
  • Berlin

Posted 04 January 2010 - 03:08 PM

About two years ago the rumor was started that Leica is coming back to the cine-lens market. For those who don't know: Leitz Canada developed and manufactured Panavision Primo lenses as well as the optics for the IMAX-projector (they sold the company called ELCAN several years ago and brought their lens-production back to Germany).

Their flagship-lenses were always manufactered in Wetzlar/Solms since over 160 years. Several new technologies were incorporated over the last decades, especially very complex aspherical designs which are on par with comparable Zeiss-lenses (Zeiss hardly makes any consumer-lenses anymore, most of them are simpler designs for Cosina & Sony).

Definitely not "just another" optic supplier!

They found a new subsidiary and started their site:
http://cw-sonderoptic.de

I wonder if they want to surpass Master Primes (if that's possible at all!?) or want to jump on the prosumer-35mm-digital-market with higher production numbers? The rendering shows a 40mm T1.4 (the barrel says "Multi Asph" - more than one aspheric surface?) - doesn't sound cheap...

Edited by georg lamshöft, 04 January 2010 - 03:10 PM.

#2 georg lamshöft

georg lamshöft
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 310 posts
  • Berlin

Posted 05 January 2010 - 04:51 AM

http://matthewduclos...mystery-primes/

#3 georg lamshöft

georg lamshöft
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 310 posts
  • Berlin

Posted 05 January 2010 - 05:44 AM

Last one for today:

http://www.flickr.co...57622921414829/

The size difference is impressive.

#4 Saul Rodgar

Saul Rodgar
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1682 posts
  • Cinematographer

Posted 05 January 2010 - 01:52 PM

Right, I wouldn't expect these to be the same lenses that are built in prosumer Panasonic video cameras, just as the Zeiss lenses in prosumer Sony cameras ain't no Master Primes. As mentioned in the BandPro article, Leica would be joining an already crowded market, and the question in our minds seem to be "why would I choose the new Leica primes over Master Primes or S4s?" We shall see, I suppose . . .

#5 Adrian Sierkowski

Adrian Sierkowski
  • Sustaining Members
  • 7118 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Los Angeles, Ca

Posted 05 January 2010 - 02:25 PM

Price comes to mind.. then again, who knows, they may have that "special look" all their own. Still, I'd not mind a few sets finding their way to Phila.

#6 Saul Rodgar

Saul Rodgar
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1682 posts
  • Cinematographer

Posted 05 January 2010 - 02:38 PM

Yeah, I haven't seen anything regarding price, and we'll see what kinda look they have. Definitely would like to check them out. Big fan of Leica still and older cine lenses here. Just echoing the thought that it could be very hard for Leica to raise the bar that Zeiss and Cooke aspherical lenses have set, or even rival their quality . . . We shall see.

#7 Adrian Sierkowski

Adrian Sierkowski
  • Sustaining Members
  • 7118 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Los Angeles, Ca

Posted 05 January 2010 - 09:34 PM

If only everyone demanded high quality.. think of all the useless gear we'd stop seeing...

#8 georg lamshöft

georg lamshöft
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 310 posts
  • Berlin

Posted 06 January 2010 - 07:21 AM

Basically all lenses from Leica since 1987 (2,8/100Apo) set new standards - I would expect nothing less than MP-quality in a much smaller & lighter barrel.

The look of Zeiss & Leica - lenses is different, but they're usually too "perfect" to show distinctive characteristics like they did in the 60s.

To me it's important that they diversify the lens design & manufacturing compartment, enhancing production scale again and keeping highest quality lens production alive despite it's cost. Too much mediocre stuff is floating around and especially "rebranding" (Panasonic/Minolta made "Leica", Sony/Cosina made "Zeiss"), that's true.

Edited by georg lamshöft, 06 January 2010 - 07:25 AM.

Visual Products

Gamma Ray Digital Inc

CineTape

Paralinx LLC

Broadcast Solutions Inc

CineLab

Ritter Battery

Metropolis Post

Wooden Camera

FJS International, LLC

Glidecam

Opal