#1 Jason Hinkle (RIP)

Jason Hinkle (RIP)
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 240 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Chicago, IL

Posted 05 January 2010 - 10:30 PM

I just got a budget .9 ND filter on eBay and when it showed up it looks almost like a 2-way mirror. I hadn't really heard of this before but I did some reading about "hot mirror" ND filters. Is that likely what I have?

The mirror effect is pretty strong, it makes me wonder if I need to take any special precautions when using this to avoid reflecting back into the lens? Do I need to press the lens against the filter, or tape up the matte box to prevent any crack of light? Or is it not that sensitive? any special precautions?

#2 John Sprung

John Sprung
  • Sustaining Members
  • 4635 posts
  • Other

Posted 06 January 2010 - 02:53 PM

Yes, that does sound like a "hot mirror" ND. That's a good thing if you ever want to use it on a Red camera, there are a lot more such ND's being made just because of the Red's IR sensitivity.

Reflections off the back of any filter can be a problem, especially ND's like this. Check with a flashlight, and tape up any light leaks you find.

-- J.S.

#3 Jason Hinkle (RIP)

Jason Hinkle (RIP)
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 240 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Chicago, IL

Posted 15 January 2010 - 01:19 AM

Yes, that does sound like a "hot mirror" ND. That's a good thing if you ever want to use it on a Red camera, there are a lot more such ND's being made just because of the Red's IR sensitivity. Reflections off the back of any filter can be a problem, especially ND's like this. Check with a flashlight, and tape up any light leaks you find.

cool thanks!

#4 Satsuki Murashige

Satsuki Murashige
  • Sustaining Members
  • 3510 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • San Francisco, CA

Posted 15 January 2010 - 02:57 PM

The mirror effect is pretty strong, it makes me wonder if I need to take any special precautions when using this to avoid reflecting back into the lens?

Just make sure the mirror side is always facing out away from the lens, and that you use it in the front-most tray of your matte box in front of any other filters. And use donuts.

#5 William Coss

William Coss
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 37 posts
  • 1st Assistant Camera

Posted 15 January 2010 - 07:32 PM

I just got a budget .9 ND filter on eBay and when it showed up it looks almost like a 2-way mirror. I hadn't really heard of this before but I did some reading about "hot mirror" ND filters. Is that likely what I have?

The mirror effect is pretty strong, it makes me wonder if I need to take any special precautions when using this to avoid reflecting back into the lens? Do I need to press the lens against the filter, or tape up the matte box to prevent any crack of light? Or is it not that sensitive? any special precautions?

Sounds like a Pancro dichroic ND filter to me. They have made them for decades and it just may not be an IR "hot mirror". Due to the fact that these are relatively new on the market, it should say so on it, if in fact it is. Pancro's website explains it all, i.e., front surface.

Bill

Metropolis Post

Opal

Glidecam

Gamma Ray Digital Inc

Rig Wheels Passport

Technodolly

Abel Cine

CineTape

Ritter Battery

Visual Products

FJS International, LLC