#1 Anthony Schilling

Anthony Schilling
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1053 posts
  • Camera Operator
  • Portland, OR

Posted 10 January 2010 - 12:29 AM

I put together a montage from oodles of live local acts I captured on Super 8 500T, with a little bit of reg 16mm. I used the 7218 with a pinch of TriX. Don't shoot much live stuff anymore, but I'm glad I did. I think the S8 500T is perfect for it.

View on Vimeo

#2 Christopher Curry

Christopher Curry
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts
  • Student
  • Melbourne, Australia

Posted 10 January 2010 - 03:56 AM

Nice work! You're right that 500T is perfect for live band performances. Fast enough to pick up the right amount of light in less than ideal and unpredictable situations. The colours saturate very nicely for that "indie" kind of feel. I'm also quite impressed at the crispness of the images.

Can you share any more information on what cameras you used? Did you use manual or automatic aperture settings?

I shot 6 carts of S8 500T early last year during a live performance. It was a multi-camera setup capturing the entirety of one song with three of my friends operating different cameras around the room including myself on a fourth camera. I haven't got the film transferred to digital yet but I'm hoping it will turn out as nicely as your footage. It's going to be quite a task syncing all the footage up with the sound. Will post finished product here once it's done.

#3 Alessandro Machi

Alessandro Machi
  • Sustaining Members
  • 3318 posts
  • Other
  • California

Posted 10 January 2010 - 05:17 AM

I was listening to something else on the internet at the moment and would like to watch your film silently, but I did not see that option. Just passing that on since I can experience the cinematography even without sound (knowing that it would probably be better with the sound up).

#4 Anthony Schilling

Anthony Schilling
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1053 posts
  • Camera Operator
  • Portland, OR

Posted 14 January 2010 - 07:32 PM

Nice work! You're right that 500T is perfect for live band performances. Fast enough to pick up the right amount of light in less than ideal and unpredictable situations. The colours saturate very nicely for that "indie" kind of feel. I'm also quite impressed at the crispness of the images.

Can you share any more information on what cameras you used? Did you use manual or automatic aperture settings?

I shot 6 carts of S8 500T early last year during a live performance. It was a multi-camera setup capturing the entirety of one song with three of my friends operating different cameras around the room including myself on a fourth camera. I haven't got the film transferred to digital yet but I'm hoping it will turn out as nicely as your footage. It's going to be quite a task syncing all the footage up with the sound. Will post finished product here once it's done.

At that time I had 2 Canon 814XLS, f1.4 with a 220 shutter, and some shots were filmed by a friend with a Beaulieu 4008. In a small venue setting, it's best to lock it wide open for a decent (or any) exposure... When it comes to bright flashes, the 500T can usually ride it all the way... a lot better than letting an auto iris pulse the exposure

Paralinx LLC

Abel Cine

Broadcast Solutions Inc

FJS International, LLC

Visual Products

Metropolis Post

Glidecam

Technodolly

Opal

Wooden Camera

Gamma Ray Digital Inc

Tai Audio