#1 Paul Bruening

Paul Bruening

(deceased)

• Sustaining Members
  • 2858 posts
  • Producer
  • Oxford, Mississippi

Posted 11 January 2010 - 11:19 PM

I've been really studying Once Upon a Time in the West. Strangely, for the first time, I've really noticed this shot. Maybe, it's because I've finally got a really good quality DVD of it. That storm in the background in the buttes is amazing. Does anyone know any good stories about how long they had to wait for that storm or was it one of those lucky accidents?

Attached Images

• OnceWestStrop1.jpg

#2 Ruairi Robinson

Ruairi Robinson
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 279 posts
  • Director
  • Los Angeles

Posted 11 January 2010 - 11:28 PM

I've been really studying Once Upon a Time in the West. Strangely, for the first time, I've really noticed this shot. Maybe, it's because I've finally got a really good quality DVD of it. That storm in the background in the buttes is amazing. Does anyone know any good stories about how long they had to wait for that storm or was it one of those lucky accidents?

This is my favorite single shot in any movie.

True story!

#3 James Steven Beverly

James Steven Beverly
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4199 posts
  • Director
  • El Paso, Texas

Posted 12 January 2010 - 06:01 AM

I can't say for sure, but I would be willing to bet big it was a "lucky accident" and the only planning was to shoot qickly to catch it before it got to them. I can't imagine they would keep a cast and crew sitting around waiting for a storm to appear. It is a beautiful shot though. I saved it. B)

Edited by James Steven Beverly, 12 January 2010 - 06:02 AM.

#4 Jean Dodge

Jean Dodge
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 110 posts
  • Director

Posted 05 February 2010 - 02:29 PM

If you have ever shot in Monument Valley you know it is an amazing place. The red dirt is always in the air and makes for great sunsets, and the vistas are breathtaking. But you don't "get lucky" there, you have to work for it. Even now it is quite remote from the comforts of civilization. Trucks bog down easily in the soft sand, and storms like that will stand your entire company overnight if you are not careful.

John Ford tells a funny story about how he hired the same Navajo shaman for all his pictures to control the weather, bragging that the guy was once asked for clear weather all week and then snow on the weekend, and he delivered. Peter Bogdanovich was asking the questions when this story was written up, and Ford told him that for his last picture in navajo country (Cheyenne Autumn) he was forced to hire the medicine man's son. Bogdanavich asked Ford to rate junior's performance and was told "he always got me the right kind of clouds but he couldn't put them where I wanted them as well as his dad did."

It's also a famous story, possibly apocryphal that Winton Hoch on SHE WORE A YELLOW RIBBON filed a written protest regarding shooting a technicolor sequence as a storm approached for a key sequence of the cavalry retreating under duress. The film won awards for cinematography and many recall the film best from that sequence.

CineLab

FJS International, LLC

Media Blackout - Custom Cables and AKS

Technodolly

Tai Audio

Gamma Ray Digital Inc

Wooden Camera

Aerial Filmworks

Glidecam

rebotnix Technologies

Willys Widgets

The Slider