Sebastian Drozak

New

• Basic Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
  • Student

Posted 15 January 2010 - 01:27 PM

Hi,

I've been visiting the forum for quite some time now but this is my first post, since I'm less than two months from directing my "short".

The camera used will be the Sony Z1e (i believe the ending is "u" in the US). Since the movie has zero budget, and I pay all the expenses from what I earn I am very cost conscious. To the point.

There are two cassete models from Sony I'am interested in: DVM63HDR and DVM85HD. The second one is twice as expensive as the first one (in Poland about $10 for the 63 and $20 for the 85). Since this film is "my baby" I want the best possible tape. Video will be 1080i. Both cassetes are HDV and supposed to be top-of-the-line. Has anyone had any experience with them? From what I've read on the topic I'm more inclined to go with the cheaper one....

The second question is about the 1080i - how does it behave when editing? I know I'm ignorant on the topic, but from what I know is that "i" standing for interlaced would not allow me to make clean cuts between the frames, or am I mistaken? I'm still before the testing but if anyone can share information I 'd greatly appreciate it....

All the best,

Sebastian

#2 Geoffrey Wayne

Geoffrey Wayne
  • Guests

Posted 01 February 2010 - 07:46 AM

Hi,

I've been visiting the forum for quite some time now but this is my first post, since I'm less than two months from directing my "short".

The camera used will be the Sony Z1e (i believe the ending is "u" in the US). Since the movie has zero budget, and I pay all the expenses from what I earn I am very cost conscious. To the point.

There are two cassete models from Sony I'am interested in: DVM63HDR and DVM85HD. The second one is twice as expensive as the first one (in Poland about $10 for the 63 and $20 for the 85). Since this film is "my baby" I want the best possible tape. Video will be 1080i. Both cassetes are HDV and supposed to be top-of-the-line. Has anyone had any experience with them? From what I've read on the topic I'm more inclined to go with the cheaper one....

The second question is about the 1080i - how does it behave when editing? I know I'm ignorant on the topic, but from what I know is that "i" standing for interlaced would not allow me to make clean cuts between the frames, or am I mistaken? I'm still before the testing but if anyone can share information I 'd greatly appreciate it....

All the best,

Sebastian

This might be helpful: http://www.dvxuser.c...ead.php?t=99405

#3 James Martin

James Martin
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 227 posts
  • Cinematographer

Posted 01 February 2010 - 10:39 AM

I used to own an HDR-FX1E, for all intents and purposes the same as your Z1E, as well as recording hours and hours of footage with film school Z1s... here's my summary

Of 110 "Sony DV Premium Tapes" I shot (the orange ones, about £1 each if you get a deal), I had one unusable tape (moisture damage I feel), two dropouts totalling one second.

Shot ten HDV 63 tapes, never had a problem. Shot 4 85 minute tapes for a wedding recently where I needed the duration, also not an issue.

HOWEVER, I had many problems with digitising from footage captured on school Z1s (constantly dropping timecode in AVID, but not footage), but never any with my own FX1.

My conclusion, camera condition is worth more than tape, but for peace of mind I'd buy the regular HDV tapes. Keep the camera head clean (good precaution to clean when switching tape brands, could be groundless but I feel harmless doing so)

Draw your own conclusion if you will!

Best
James

#4 Sebastian Drozak

Sebastian Drozak

New

• Basic Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
  • Student

Posted 15 February 2010 - 05:41 PM

A big "THANK YOU" for sharing Your experience! ;)

Regards,

Sebastian

#5 Chris Keth

Chris Keth
  • Sustaining Members
  • 4427 posts
  • 1st Assistant Camera
  • Los Angeles

Posted 15 February 2010 - 07:46 PM

Either will work fine. You should clean the heads well and then stick with one type (either dry lubricant or wet lubricant) of tape. Using both types of tape will leave both lubricant residues on your tape heads and it can turn into a gooey mess.

FJS International, LLC

The Slider

Aerial Filmworks

Opal

Gamma Ray Digital Inc

Broadcast Solutions Inc

Visual Products

Ritter Battery

Abel Cine

Technodolly

Tai Audio

Willys Widgets