Perrone Ford

New

• Basic Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
  • Other
  • Tallahassee, FL

Posted 19 January 2010 - 09:29 PM

I am going to be gelling some overhead fluos in a conference/meeting room this week. The room is used for a very particular type of video conference. I was called in to work on it because currently the people on camera are getting blown out by the overhead lighting.

For a mockup, I silked the ceiling with what amounted to about 2 layers of gridcloth and that gave a VERY nice look to the light and softened everything wonderfully. But firecode won't allow it because it blocked the sprinklers.

So I bought a roll of Rosco Tough Rolux with the idea that I'd use a sheet of plexi in the fixtures with the rolux attached to each sheet. I was just wondering how much light I am probably going to lose this way and the Rosco site was of no help.

(and no I am not going to only use overhead lighting. I ordered two dimmable flou fixtures that will be affixed at the front of the room to give some shape to the faces.)

Thanks in advance.

-P

#2 Tim O'Connor

Tim O'Connor
  • Sustaining Members
  • 860 posts
  • Other
  • Boston, Massachusetts

Posted 20 January 2010 - 12:00 AM

If you need to know before you get the product data, you could put a light through it and meter it or use a camera
to measure what you have for a stop with and without any diffusion.

#3 Perrone Ford

Perrone Ford

New

• Basic Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
  • Other
  • Tallahassee, FL

Posted 20 January 2010 - 03:11 AM

If you need to know before you get the product data, you could put a light through it and meter it or use a camera
to measure what you have for a stop with and without any diffusion.

Yea, that's where I am going to be it seems. Nothing like just putting a meter on it. Kinda makes me mad that Rosco don't just say what it is. I don't particularly care, I'd just like to know in advance if I am going to have to re-bulb.

#4 JD Hartman

JD Hartman
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1690 posts
  • Gaffer
  • Edison, N.J. U.S.A.

Posted 20 January 2010 - 02:05 PM

Do the overhead fixtures have a frame and some type of diffuser? Cracked Ice, honeycomb, grid?? Why not remove all the existing frames and attach your diff to them, using paper tape? Certainly cheaper than having a plexi cut to fit.

CineTape

Technodolly

Gamma Ray Digital Inc

FJS International, LLC

Metropolis Post

Media Blackout - Custom Cables and AKS

Broadcast Solutions Inc

The Slider

Ritter Battery

Opal

Wooden Camera

Willys Widgets