#1 Andrzej Ford

Andrzej Ford
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 49 posts
  • Student
  • Brighton / London / Portsmouth - UK

Posted 22 January 2010 - 01:06 PM

i know it's not film, but everyone here is creative and will definitely know more about this than me. and i want comments/reactions from any type of person, be they professionals or amateurs.

-private view invitation for an art show

http://3.bp.blogspot...at 18.00.32.png

Edited by Andrzej Ford, 22 January 2010 - 01:07 PM.

#2 Adrian Sierkowski

Adrian Sierkowski
  • Sustaining Members
  • 7058 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Los Angeles, Ca

Posted 22 January 2010 - 03:11 PM

Personally I'm not crazy about the font or the light gray color of the font, either. Too low contrast, for me, to be of visual interest. Also the color at the bottom drags my eye away from the name of the show etc. Of course, knowing the type of art being shown will help figure what works best as well.

#3 Andrzej Ford

Andrzej Ford
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 49 posts
  • Student

Posted 22 January 2010 - 04:12 PM

Personally I'm not crazy about the font or the light gray color of the font, either. Too low contrast, for me, to be of visual interest. Also the color at the bottom drags my eye away from the name of the show etc. Of course, knowing the type of art being shown will help figure what works best as well.

Ok, i think the font/grey is preference; and i'm not stunned with the font either. The interest isn't so important because we're hopefully inviting people who want to come, they're just not informed.

The colour dragging your eye away from the important part is a very valid point though. Will definitely look into this.
and it's going to be a second year fine art degree show, part of the cities art festival as well.

But i really appreciate your comments on font and sponsors/logos taking too much precedence from the eye. maybe using opacity on those layers might work?

#4 Adrian Sierkowski

Adrian Sierkowski
  • Sustaining Members
  • 7058 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Los Angeles, Ca

Posted 22 January 2010 - 05:11 PM

I'm happy to help. I think some opacity and a little desaturated might help, worth a try. I'd also perhaps recommend making the map a little more "graphical," to fit in with the look of the whole flyer, not important really as it looks like it's culled from google maps, but just helps bring the whole thing together (can you tell I once dated a graphic designer?)

#5 Andrzej Ford

Andrzej Ford
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 49 posts
  • Student

Posted 22 January 2010 - 05:46 PM

I'm happy to help. I think some opacity and a little desaturated might help, worth a try. I'd also perhaps recommend making the map a little more "graphical," to fit in with the look of the whole flyer, not important really as it looks like it's culled from google maps, but just helps bring the whole thing together (can you tell I once dated a graphic designer?)

haha definitely, i've asked graphic designer students opinions too which improved it alot aswell. only question i have when it comes to the opacity/desaturation of logos/sponsors, is are you allowed to alter their image?

And yeah i used that map because it was quick, and the invitation doesnt have to be finished for like over a month, im just putting off writing a proposal.

#6 Adrian Sierkowski

Adrian Sierkowski
  • Sustaining Members
  • 7058 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Los Angeles, Ca

Posted 22 January 2010 - 05:51 PM

Honestly, I'm not sure. I don't see why changing their logo's colors/opacity would be much of a problem; but to err on the side of safety, perhaps relocate the sponsors to the back, keep the front simple and informative.

#7 Andrzej Ford

Andrzej Ford
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 49 posts
  • Student

Posted 22 January 2010 - 06:15 PM

Honestly, I'm not sure. I don't see why changing their logo's colors/opacity would be much of a problem; but to err on the side of safety, perhaps relocate the sponsors to the back, keep the front simple and informative.

brilliant, thanks again.

Media Blackout - Custom Cables and AKS

Glidecam

rebotnix Technologies

Abel Cine

FJS International, LLC

Metropolis Post

Rig Wheels Passport

Aerial Filmworks

Gamma Ray Digital Inc

Ritter Battery

Paralinx LLC