#1 Eugene Lehnert

Eugene Lehnert
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 203 posts
  • Other
  • New York, NY

Posted 26 January 2010 - 01:01 PM

What are the pros and cons of the Ultra 16 conversion vs the Super16 conversion for an SBM bolex. Who does some of the best conversions?

#2 Scott Bryant

Scott Bryant
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 151 posts
  • Other
  • Nevada

Posted 26 January 2010 - 02:08 PM

What are the pros and cons of the Ultra 16 conversion vs the Super16 conversion for an SBM bolex. Who does some of the best conversions?

This has definitely been covered before, but I can't help extolling Ultra16 for it's convenience and price difference compared to super16. With Ultra you don't have to offset lens mounts etc you just take off a little from each side. I had my Eclair NPR converted to Ultra16 by Bernie O'Doherty (super16inc.com). It was so much cheaper than converting to super16. And I think the best thing about ultra (besides the fact that it is wider than super16) is that if you get it and decide to change later to super16 you can just have that same camera converted. Conversion to ultra16 doesn't ruin your camera for a future conversion to super16 if you so choose (but i personally don't see a need b/c i'm very happy with the results). Bernie is a top notch professional and great to work with. He gives your camera a simple clean and lube while it's in to make sure everything is running right. People have alot of opinions on ultra16, and I would say mostly professionals who are doing lots of shooting on a regular basis are going to choose super over ultra for processing and transfer convenience (more places). But for someone like me who is not a professional and it not going to shoot more than a dozen times a year i think ultra is the way to go. I send my film to Cinelicious.tv, they send the film to Alpha Cine for processing then they get it back for the telecine. I like Cinelicious bc they are really spear-heading ultra16 and trying to carve out a niche for it. They also have ColorCast which is where you can supervise the telecine online (works very well in spite of my initial doubts). I promise i'm not on these companies' payrolls i just really appreciate how helpful and easy they are to work with (oh yeah and the quality of their work is top notch). So i say go ultra16 and post some screenshots when you get some footage shot!

Edited by Scott Bryant, 26 January 2010 - 02:08 PM.

#3 Saul Rodgar

Saul Rodgar
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1682 posts
  • Cinematographer

Posted 26 January 2010 - 08:30 PM

For most people who already have a lot of 16mm lenses, or even one or two, a huge selling point for converting to U16 is that you can use those same lenses (for the most part), whereas most 16mm lenses used on S16 will vignette on the wide angle, at least. There aren't too many places to transfer U16 to video / HD, but Cinelicious and a few others do. Also, U16 cannot be projected natively on a 16mm projector nor can you make a print to 16mm without cropping the sides. Most U16 camera conversions will allow to frame for R16 as well as U16, but if you projected reversal U16 or a print, then the cropped sides would probably get scratched.

http://marylandfilms...6-compared.html

Edited by Saul Rodgar, 26 January 2010 - 08:33 PM.

#4 Bernie O'Doherty

Bernie O'Doherty
  • Sustaining Members
  • 232 posts
  • Other
  • Newark Valley, NY

Posted 27 January 2010 - 08:22 AM

Saul was correct when he said that U16 cannot be projected natively on a 16mm projector. However, I have converted many 16mm projectors to U16.

#5 Saul Rodgar

Saul Rodgar
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1682 posts
  • Cinematographer

Posted 27 January 2010 - 02:30 PM

Saul was correct when he said that U16 cannot be projected natively on a 16mm projector. However, I have converted many 16mm projectors to U16.

Sweet! I have heard about some S16 projector conversions --which I am sure you can do as well -- and I am glad you are doing U16 projector conversions as well as camera conversions. Yours is truly a one stop shop!

Edited by Saul Rodgar, 27 January 2010 - 02:32 PM.

#6 Guy Danieli

Guy Danieli
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts
  • Cinematographer

Posted 04 February 2017 - 09:43 PM

Ultra 16 is kind of better than super 16mm! Cheaper to convert and no risk to get dust on the top and bottom of the image! Also, you can use all 16mm lenses. You will get a 1:8 aspect ration like 35mm! Also, if you edit your film, you can edit in 'A 'roll instead of A& B rolls.Both S16 and U16 loose the sound track. No problem if you use  16mm interlock projector or if you transfer your film to digital.

More info, please contact guycameraspro@gmail.om or cameraspro@cox.net

We convert almost any camera for almost  20 years

Abel Cine

CineTape

The Slider

Gamma Ray Digital Inc

rebotnix Technologies

Metropolis Post

FJS International, LLC

Opal

Wooden Camera

Tai Audio