#1 Gregory Page

Gregory Page

New

• Basic Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts
  • Student

Posted 26 January 2010 - 06:21 PM

I recently read a very nice sci-fi story by a now deceased author that would make a great Super 8 short film (30 minutes long) with special effects kinda like the ones in Jet Benny. I was thinking of adapting the story into a screenplay and shooting it even if I don't have the permission of the author's estate, mostly as a personal project and to put in my demo reel. If I do this I realise I can't sell copies of my film or get distribution due to the copyright issue, but would I still be able to enter it in festivals?

I actually don't know if the big fests like Sundance accept super 8 submissions, but overall, would I be able to submit the finished film?

#2 Adrian Sierkowski

Adrian Sierkowski
  • Sustaining Members
  • 7117 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Los Angeles, Ca

Posted 26 January 2010 - 06:27 PM

No.

You need the clearances unless the author has been dead for over (i believe in the US now, more than 70 years).
Now, whether or not some fests will actually check in on your paperwork/legality is another issue. Big ones certainly will, so I'd not risk it.

#3 Jason Outenreath

Jason Outenreath
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 112 posts
  • Director
  • Austin, Texas

Posted 26 January 2010 - 08:37 PM

No.

You need the clearances unless the author has been dead for over (i believe in the US now, more than 70 years).
Now, whether or not some fests will actually check in on your paperwork/legality is another issue. Big ones certainly will, so I'd not risk it.

A lot of people get the rights to stuff after it gets into big festivals. Quentin Tarantino for example, although I dont know if he stills does this.

#4 Adrian Sierkowski

Adrian Sierkowski
  • Sustaining Members
  • 7117 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Los Angeles, Ca

Posted 26 January 2010 - 08:39 PM

Depends on the person whose rights your getting. They might be just as likely to sue you for even making the film. Moral of the story, do it right or you run the risk of litigation. Sucks, I know, but it happens. Your best bet would be to do something in the same vein of the original work, but your own. Use the story as inspiration for something your own, or dig 'round and see who owns the rights to the work and attempt to make contact.

I would give a quick glance to this very non-legal document:

http://en.wikipedia....ht_infringement

also, I would add that attempting to get the rights after the work is made is generally not a good idea.... (different if you're talking about a song that momentarily came on a radio of a car outside in final audio... but if you make a whole film... and then try to get rights...)

CineLab

Aerial Filmworks

The Slider

Wooden Camera

Tai Audio

Opal

Metropolis Post

Technodolly

rebotnix Technologies

Visual Products

Gamma Ray Digital Inc

CineTape