New

• Basic Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
  • Student
  • Australia

Posted 26 January 2010 - 09:51 PM

Hey Everyone,

Here's a problem. I've been working on a short film, and during a chase scene, a shack full of petrol cans is set on fire, and a patched up wall gets destroyed. Unfortunately, my attempts at destroying the wall never have all completely failed. Can anyone help me?

#2 Chris Millar

Chris Millar
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1642 posts
  • Other

Posted 26 January 2010 - 10:14 PM

How do you expect anyone to help you ?

more information please

#3 Shaun Gillies

Shaun Gillies

New

• Basic Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
  • Student
  • Australia

Posted 27 January 2010 - 12:58 AM

Ha ha ha, okay.

In the chase scene, the protagonist is being chased by three henchmen, and when the shack explodes, part of the wall flies out and hits the last of the henchmen.

The shot only includes about half of the shack, so we only made a small prop. It is 3 meters x 4 meters. The walls are made of sheet aluminium, because it's set in Outback Australia. The inside of the shack is completely empty, and was built on completely level ground.

I'm looking more for ideas for a rig to remove the wall rather than the advice, especially since any sort of explosive material is allowed in Australia (even for special effects).

I just need a realistic (and safe) way of removing the wall onto the henchmen. Most of the inside of the shack is exposed after the explosion.

The smoke special effects are taken care of.

#4 Chris Millar

Chris Millar
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1642 posts
  • Other

Posted 27 January 2010 - 03:01 AM

Well,

Hopefully you'll come across someone who has done a similar set up and will have an ego enough to want to type up their story and show you how for the forum kudos, probably take an hour to type it up and then not give you all the real nitty gritty details involved anyway ...

Those, as always will be kept to themselves.

Small chance someone will refer to a 'making of' section of a DVD for an otherwise crap film and you'll have to buy only to find the Australian version doesn't have that particular extra.

Reasonable chance someone say 45+ will complain that you mentioned explosives and tell you that they are dangerous and therefore this thread is dangerous, and watch out for snakes, dont smoke cigarettes whilst loading nitrate stocks and that they want nothing to do with this or the rest of your dangerous film...

Small but possible chance Dave Mullen will tell you how in perfect detail with attached pictures of how they did it in Star Trek >>insert part # here<< - there might be split diopters involved - (please dont take offense David, its mind boggling how much knowledge you share with us here!)

Thomas James will tell you to do it in 48fps

Karl will say *something*

and the rest ...

I'll shut up now (I don't have any answers for you) - just get ready for it, tis all I'm saying :D

#5 Adrian Sierkowski

Adrian Sierkowski
  • Sustaining Members
  • 7117 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Los Angeles, Ca

Posted 27 January 2010 - 10:15 AM

Khan!

Ok, I'm trying to follow this as best I can, you have a house, and it explodes in 1 shot, and then in the 2nd shot a piece of it flies off and hits someone. Now, does the explosion and the hitting have to be in the same shot? If so, you can work on a model to scale and disintegrate that in various ways depending on how you built the model. You'd need to film at a high speed in order to have the motion match. Then in a 2nd shot you can either jump cut the wall hitting the chaser or have him react to nothing and go through and after-effects in the whole thing (see video co pilot hit by car tutorial for ideas there).
Since you obviously can't really blow up the building, as you said beak your sequence down into what shots you're going to want to edit together and work from there. For something like this you really ought to have someone on set who has done this sort of thing before (and generally should've been hired way before hand when you figured out how to shoot the thing).

#6 JD Hartman

JD Hartman
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1690 posts
  • Gaffer
  • Edison, N.J. U.S.A.

Posted 04 March 2010 - 05:10 PM

Wall is assembled of pre-scored wood/block/brick/etc. Destroyed with a blast from a compressed air cannon which has additional bit of debris in its barrel to make it look realistic.

Wooden Camera

Abel Cine

CineTape

Aerial Filmworks

Visual Products

Willys Widgets

Glidecam

Broadcast Solutions Inc

The Slider

Tai Audio

Gamma Ray Digital Inc

Technodolly