#1 Tom Kwiat

Tom Kwiat

New

• Basic Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
  • Student

Posted 28 January 2010 - 01:27 AM

I have a documentary type style movie i am getting ready to shoot this summer in june some time. I want to keep the crew to 4-5 at the most because this is going to be shot on location. i know you guys are going tio ask well whats the plot/idea/summary all that cool stuff but thats the beauty of my movie. Lets not be bound by a set script and locations. Lets just set the goal and see how the journy unfolds and lets tape the whole trip. and see where life takes us. if this sounds like something you want to be apart of email me and lets make history.

I have two actor types

this is what i want

I want a guy/girl who is good camera/lighting/audio

I want a guy/girl who is good at promotion/organization/phone skills

i have this idea for a movie that is a real world documentary type of movie. I set the goal of reaching and visiting all 30 MLB stadiums. and we tape the whole journey and let the journey mold the story. you can go a million ways with it as doing the history of each stadium to the character study of 2 guys on the road living the dream of every 12 year old boy. In my opinion the possibilities of the story lines are endless

#2 Brian Dzyak

Brian Dzyak
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1517 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Encino, California USA

Posted 28 January 2010 - 09:30 AM

I want a guy/girl who is good camera/lighting/audio

I want a guy/girl who is good at promotion/organization/phone skills

I know that you want to keep the crew small, but you should have a two people to handle camera and sound. One person really can't focus on shooting, lighting (when it's needed), and sound. Do yourself a favor and have a separate sound person. There are a few really great sound people I know and work with here in LA who are willing to pitch in to help light and they know what they're doing.

That second job above sounds like a Field Producer who's job revolves around logistics of moving the crew/cast around and arranging the permissions, etc. for you to actually shoot.

I assume you'd be "directing."

That's four people right there.

I might also suggest that you have along a fifth "PA/Driver" who can help the Producer, go get supplies and lunches, and who can jump in to help move equipment around for the crew if needed. Assuming you're driving this whole time, you'll want someone who isn't you or the rest of the crew to do the driving.

Then you'll have your on-screen talent. Can you do this with fewer people? Sure. You could do it with just yourself and the talent, but with your focus spread out over so many details, something will give and your final product will suffer. The optimum number to do what you're aiming for is FIVE plus talent.

#3 Freya Black

Freya Black
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4161 posts
  • Other
  • Went over the edge... Central Europe

Posted 28 January 2010 - 06:51 PM

I'm curious, what is an MLB and why do 12 year old boys dream about them?

#4 Adrian Sierkowski

Adrian Sierkowski
  • Sustaining Members
  • 7117 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Los Angeles, Ca

Posted 28 January 2010 - 07:28 PM

Major League Baseball, the American past-time. Sufficient to say it is a part of American culture and in the nostalgic way, many people have dreamed of being a ball-player. I'd hazard to guess a good number of American kids have done at least one or two seasons of little league. Here in Philadelphia I have been known to play "half ball," when I was in highschool and really miss it sometimes. Also here there is the father son tradition of a good catch, which I see all 'round in Philadelphia parks.

#5 Freya Black

Freya Black
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4161 posts
  • Other
  • Went over the edge... Central Europe

Posted 28 January 2010 - 07:51 PM

Major League Baseball, the American past-time. Sufficient to say it is a part of American culture and in the nostalgic way, many people have dreamed of being a ball-player. I'd hazard to guess a good number of American kids have done at least one or two seasons of little league. Here in Philadelphia I have been known to play "half ball," when I was in highschool and really miss it sometimes. Also here there is the father son tradition of a good catch, which I see all 'round in Philadelphia parks.

I only understood about 50% of that. Maybe less!

I have a vague idea of baseball. Never seen it. It's kind of like cricket gone wrong or something tho isn't it? To be honest I only have a vague idea about what cricket is too tho, but I kinda know what you mean.

What is a ball player?
What is half ball? Why do you miss it now? Has it gone away?
What is a "good catch". I'm quite familiar with the term but I don't see how it can work in the context you a talking about? Do you mean your father would see you as being a "good catch" for potential partners because you are good at playing the game or are athletic and healthy?
What do you mean by seeing "all 'round".

I'm guessing that little league is the opposite of major league. Like being a major league player.

???

love

Freya

#6 Adrian Sierkowski

Adrian Sierkowski
  • Sustaining Members
  • 7117 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Los Angeles, Ca

Posted 28 January 2010 - 08:14 PM

Yep baseball is kinda like cricket gone wrong. Basically you have 2 teams, each team hits a ball with a bat and runs bases. There are 4 bases, 1st, 2nd, 3rd, and home. you bat from home base and run from 1/2/3 to home. If you make it to home you hit a "home run." Now, you can be "out," in 3 ways, by strikes (3 pitches in the strike zone (designated around the batter)) which you don't swing on called by an umpire (ref) or if you swing and miss 3 pitched, or any combination thereof. Or if you hit a ball and it is caught before hitting the ground, or if in the process of running to a base you are "tagged" by someone with the ball. You can also be "walked," getting onto base without swinging at pitched if 4 pitches to you are outside of this strike zone and you don't swing at them. Or, if you are hit by a pitch you are "walked." by being walked you go to 1st base.
When on base, you may "steal" another base by running to it in the time between the pitcher (the one who throws the ball from a mount in the middle of these bases) throws the ball to the catcher (located at home plate).

So each team bats until it accrues 3 "outs," by any means permissible in an attempt to score runs. The game lasts for 9 innings, an inning being made up of 1 "at bat," for both teams, an "at bat" being the period until the team gets 3 outs.

In the field you have some positions: Outfield and Infield. The outfield is comprises of the left, right, and center "fielders," who are behind the based (when looking from "home plate") and be behind I mean way behind in between the infield and the walls of the stadium.
In the infield you have the Catcher @ Home place, the pitcher on a mount between home plate and the bases (i don't know the distance off hand), a 1st baseman, a 2nd baseman, a short stop (between 2nd and 3rd base) and a 3rd basemen.
this makes for a total of 9 players for the fielding team.

Scoring. So you've hit a ball and you made it to first base. The next player comes up and does the same, but both of you cannot be on base at any given time, so you have to run to 2nd base. In this process if the opposing team can catch and throw the ball to that base before you get there, you and possibly your friend if they can't run to 1st base in time, will be out. And you hit and run base to base trying to make it all the way home, when you score a run. If you hit a home run you and anyone on base will also score, so if you have a person on 1st, 2nd, and 3rd base and you hit a home run (in this instance called a grand slam) you get 4 runs (or points). If you hit a home run, the ball literally must leave the field of the park, going into the stands, and cannot be caught.

So that's baseball. Hope it makes some sense.
(phillies world series highlights (highest honor) http://www.metacafe....ries_champions/
we lost though)

ok so that's baseball in brief.

Next onto a good catch. A good catch is a father/son thing where they go someplace and throw a baseball back and forth to eachother. Normally seen as a bonding experience, not in any way practice or anything like that necessarily. just guys going out and speaking to eachother, a father having a good time with their son. ()

Half ball, also called stick ball is a city version of baseball which requires 3 players and a wall. TO play half ball you need a broom stick and 1/2 of a racket ball, literally a ball cut in half, often a tennis ball. Like baseball you have a pitcher and a fielder, but instead of 3 strikes and your out, you normally get just 1 strike. In halfball a strike is a swing and a miss in hitting the ball. you can have as many pitches to you as you'd like, so long as you don't swing at and miss them. Also instead of 3 outs, we played having 2 outs. Now, in halfball, because there is no big field to play in which would really require running and catching the ball, you play off of a wall (a half ball not doing too much damage) and you rank how far you can "run" based on how high on the building you hit. If it just hits the building it's called a single, which like in baseball means your "runner" would advance to 1st base, higher up would be a double- runner advances to 2nd base, higher still and it's a triple, runner advances to 3rd base, or highest (often over the building) being a "home run," in which all runners score. But, if you hit a ball which doesn't hit the wall you're out, if it hits the wall and is caught without hitting the ground by the fielder you're out, so on and so forth. Also, normally you play up to a certain score. The reason why I miss half ball is because it was myself and highschool friends, no real worries, no real problems, in warm summer afternoon/evenings just having fun. and it's a major bonding experience with folks, some 30+ yr olds where I live still play half ball! Just, I suppose, missing the friends and the experiences we shared much as I miss having a catch with my dad before he died. Ahh, nostalgia!

As for little league, it's baseball for kids, before entering secondary schools. So you're talking from like 6 years old up till about 12, then they'd go to Junior Varsity, (tweens) Varsity (high school), College, Farm Team (where major teams cull new talent, if they get picked up in college). And Ball player would of course be one who plays baseball.

#7 John Sprung

John Sprung
  • Sustaining Members
  • 4635 posts
  • Other

Posted 28 January 2010 - 08:23 PM

I have a vague idea of baseball. Never seen it. It's kind of like cricket gone wrong or something tho isn't it?
What is a ball player?
What is half ball? Why do you miss it now? Has it gone away?
What is a "good catch". I'm quite familiar with the term but I don't see how it can work in the context you a talking about? Do you mean your father would see you as being a "good catch" for potential partners because you are good at playing the game or are athletic and healthy?
What do you mean by seeing "all 'round".

I'm guessing that little league is the opposite of major league. Like being a major league player.

???

love

Freya

I don't know enough about cricket to say for sure how wrong it would have to go to become baseball. Baseball definitely doesn't have wickets, but it does have one person throwing a ball that a member of the other team is supposed to hit with a bat. There's also some running involved. Beyond that, there might not be much commonality.

Ball players, professional ones, are rich and famous like movie stars, which is why people dream of becoming one.

Half ball I've never heard of before.

The "good catch" is nowhere near that complicated. He just means that fathers and sons have a good time throwing a ball back and forth, developing eye-hand coordination, depth perception, and spending some time together.

Major leagues are the famous well paid guys. You get there by working your way up through the minor leagues, single-A, double-A and triple-A. Little league is strictly for children, but very well organized and funded.

After we get this figured out, perhaps you could explain the House of Lords to us.... ;-)

-- J.S.

#8 Adrian Sierkowski

Adrian Sierkowski
  • Sustaining Members
  • 7117 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Los Angeles, Ca

Posted 28 January 2010 - 08:25 PM

If he goes into house of lords we'll have to explain the standing and clapping rules for the state of the union.

#9 John Sprung

John Sprung
  • Sustaining Members
  • 4635 posts
  • Other

Posted 28 January 2010 - 08:42 PM

That would be a fair trade. The House of Lords always sounds so impressive and ominous, like it should be in a Rowling title:

"Harry Potter and the House of Lords" ;-)

Of course, we could do a sequel over here:

"Harry Potter and the Supreme Court" ;-)

-- J.S.

#10 Adrian Sierkowski

Adrian Sierkowski
  • Sustaining Members
  • 7117 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Los Angeles, Ca

Posted 28 January 2010 - 10:19 PM

I think "Chamber of Justice" might be more intersting, or "Harry Potter and the Great Gaveler!"

Ok don't want to get tooo off topic... (but seriously, the commonwealth system is whole other matter...)

The Slider

Rig Wheels Passport

CineLab

Tai Audio

Opal

Glidecam

Broadcast Solutions Inc

Gamma Ray Digital Inc

Metropolis Post

Technodolly

Ritter Battery

Abel Cine