#1 james mcpherson

james mcpherson
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts
  • Other
  • London, UK

Posted 28 January 2010 - 12:36 PM

would love to get some recomendations on reading material apart from the ASC manual
. id like to shoot a cityscape , gotham city esque so any advice on lighting/shooting miniatures for night too would help
cheers!
j

#2 David Mullen ASC

David Mullen ASC
  • Sustaining Members
  • 19769 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Los Angeles

Posted 28 January 2010 - 01:33 PM

I would read old Cinefex magazines (1980 to maybe 1995-ish) and Raymond Fielding's "The Techniques of Special Effects Cinematography".

http://www.amazon.co...n/dp/0240512340

#3 Brian Dzyak

Brian Dzyak
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1517 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Encino, California USA

Posted 28 January 2010 - 01:41 PM

would love to get some recomendations on reading material apart from the ASC manual
. id like to shoot a cityscape , gotham city esque so any advice on lighting/shooting miniatures for night too would help
cheers!
j

Take a look at this thread: http://www.cinematog...mp;hl=miniature

#4 james mcpherson

james mcpherson
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts
  • Other
  • London, UK

Posted 28 January 2010 - 06:39 PM

Take a look at this thread: http://www.cinematog...mp;hl=miniature

what im finding hard to get my head around is if i have to stop down to a pinhole / f22 to get an even depth of field , and have the model extremely well lit , then how am i going to acheive a convincing 'night time' look in post reducing the exposure and grading it in shake will get something close but it wont be the same... i guess its finding a compromise and doing tests and the larger i make the model the less i need to light it . i was just wondering if i could somehow light the model for a night EXT

#5 David Mullen ASC

David Mullen ASC
  • Sustaining Members
  • 19769 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Los Angeles

Posted 28 January 2010 - 07:11 PM

what im finding hard to get my head around is if i have to stop down to a pinhole / f22 to get an even depth of field , and have the model extremely well lit , then how am i going to acheive a convincing 'night time' look in post reducing the exposure and grading it in shake will get something close but it wont be the same... i guess its finding a compromise and doing tests and the larger i make the model the less i need to light it . i was just wondering if i could somehow light the model for a night EXT

You need to stop down to get the correct DOF, but if you shoot at very low frame rates, you can increase the per frame exposure time so that your light level is not overpowering the lights in the model. Or shoot the city lights in a separate pass / exposure than the overall lighting.

#6 james mcpherson

james mcpherson
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts
  • Other
  • London, UK

Posted 31 January 2010 - 05:31 AM

You need to stop down to get the correct DOF, but if you shoot at very low frame rates, you can increase the per frame exposure time so that your light level is not overpowering the lights in the model. Or shoot the city lights in a separate pass / exposure than the overall lighting.

thanks for everyones replies !

Willys Widgets

CineTape

Broadcast Solutions Inc

Ritter Battery

Glidecam

Paralinx LLC

Rig Wheels Passport

rebotnix Technologies

Technodolly

Metropolis Post

CineLab