#1 Brian Lammer

Brian Lammer

New

• Basic Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
  • Student

Posted 29 January 2010 - 06:01 PM

On a recent project I accidently left a 85 filter in the camera when we switched from shooting outside to inside. We were shooting on a bolex, so it was only 100 feet that is 2/3 of a stop under. Will there be a increase in grain or a loss of quality if we have to print up/cc some footage the is 1/2-1 stop underexposed? I know the negative stocks have a lot of latitude and read results are no to bad even if its 1 1/2 underexposed. Though I just want to ask. Thanks

#2 Satsuki Murashige

Satsuki Murashige
  • Sustaining Members
  • 3510 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • San Francisco, CA

Posted 31 January 2010 - 04:50 AM

On a recent project I accidently left a 85 filter in the camera when we switched from shooting outside to inside. We were shooting on a bolex, so it was only 100 feet that is 2/3 of a stop under. Will there be a increase in grain or a loss of quality if we have to print up/cc some footage the is 1/2-1 stop underexposed? I know the negative stocks have a lot of latitude and read results are no to bad even if its 1 1/2 underexposed. Though I just want to ask. Thanks

Not enough information- what stock were you shooting? Kodak, Fuji? Were you rating the stock normal (ASA on the box=ASA on your meter) or not? Also, are you making an actual film print or just getting a telecine?

Up to 1 stop under can usually be salvaged with a slight color shift and subtle increase in grain. But that will depend on the subject matter, lighting contrast and and the lens being used. Faster stocks will have less margin for error than slow stocks.

FJS International, LLC

Wooden Camera

CineLab

Broadcast Solutions Inc

Aerial Filmworks

Tai Audio

The Slider

rebotnix Technologies

Ritter Battery

Rig Wheels Passport

Technodolly

Gamma Ray Digital Inc