#1 Ross Neugeboren

Ross Neugeboren
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 110 posts
  • Electrician
  • Greater NYC

Posted 31 January 2010 - 06:07 PM

I'm currently a grip on a mid-sized indie feature. We're pretty down to the wire, so when something is called for I generally run to get it. Time is money, and we've got 4 major producers on set this week. Another grip today told me to relax and stop running for gear, as it makes the grip or the dept. as a whole look like we don't know what we're doing. Anyone agree or disagree? Thoughts?

#2 Adrian Sierkowski

Adrian Sierkowski
  • Sustaining Members
  • 7115 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Los Angeles, Ca

Posted 31 January 2010 - 08:14 PM

as they told me in the army, Move with a purpose; but do not run. it's a safety hazard above all else. walk briskly and with determination, power walking perhaps. I'm gifted with a long stride, with my typical 1st always complains about and get's laugh from imitating her "keep up with Adrian walk," but it is no run.

#3 Darryl Richard Humber

Darryl Richard Humber
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 143 posts
  • Grip

Posted 31 January 2010 - 09:55 PM

I'm currently a grip on a mid-sized indie feature. We're pretty down to the wire, so when something is called for I generally run to get it. Time is money, and we've got 4 major producers on set this week. Another grip today told me to relax and stop running for gear, as it makes the grip or the dept. as a whole look like we don't know what we're doing. Anyone agree or disagree? Thoughts?

Don't run on set. Like Adrian said, move purposefully and quickly, but running is dangerous and it pegs you as a beginner. As your experience grows, you'll be able to see what's needed and have it before it's asked for.

#4 Ross Neugeboren

Ross Neugeboren
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 110 posts
  • Electrician
  • Greater NYC

Posted 01 February 2010 - 03:18 PM

Don't run on set. Like Adrian said, move purposefully and quickly, but running is dangerous and it pegs you as a beginner. As your experience grows, you'll be able to see what's needed and have it before it's asked for.

Darryl and Richard,
Thanks for the replies. I don't always run for things; mainly when the key's screaming "If I don't have that full apple in a minute....." over the radio. It's funny because this is really the first week I've been running for stuff, and the first time someone mentioned it to me....about 8 weeks in. Though I have yet to break anything or hurt anybody, and I very much hope to keep it that way. By walking briskly.

Thanks,
Ross

#5 Rob Vogt

Rob Vogt
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 437 posts
  • Other
  • New York

Posted 01 February 2010 - 09:38 PM

Darryl and Richard,
Thanks for the replies. I don't always run for things; mainly when the key's screaming "If I don't have that full apple in a minute....." over the radio. It's funny because this is really the first week I've been running for stuff, and the first time someone mentioned it to me....about 8 weeks in. Though I have yet to break anything or hurt anybody, and I very much hope to keep it that way. By walking briskly.

Thanks,
Ross

8 weeks into a mid-sized indie feature???? Somebody important must have gotten fired! Yeah never run, what happens if you turn a corner run into the second during a lens swap and down goes that masterprime... You just got yourself and the second fired.

#6 Ross Neugeboren

Ross Neugeboren
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 110 posts
  • Electrician
  • Greater NYC

Posted 01 February 2010 - 10:54 PM

8 weeks into a mid-sized indie feature???? Somebody important must have gotten fired! Yeah never run, what happens if you turn a corner run into the second during a lens swap and down goes that masterprime... You just got yourself and the second fired.

Good point. Walk briskly.

Visual Products

FJS International, LLC

Media Blackout - Custom Cables and AKS

Metropolis Post

Aerial Filmworks

Ritter Battery

CineTape

Technodolly

rebotnix Technologies

Tai Audio

Glidecam