#1 John Reagan

John Reagan

New

• Basic Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
  • Other

Posted 01 February 2010 - 03:01 AM

I've been reading for months and I'm pleased to have joined what seems to be the most active forum discussing 8mm cameras and film. It's a relief. I'm trying to turn new people on to the virtues of film but I'm starting out myself. I have a Minolta XL 84 Sound with a split view rangefinder. Solidly built camera. The camera works brilliantly and have just sent out some Tri-X to have developed for a later upload to YouTube. My question is (and pardon my ignorance):

How can I zoom and focus on the fly when I'm doing run and gun? For instance if a rabbit stops running for a second, I'd like to zoom in closer and film it. I wouldn't have time to focus the rangefinder on an object in the distance first. How can I shoot that theoretical rabbit before it hops off and make sure it's in focus? Do I have to always 'compose' a shot by focusing on a distant object every time I want to film something that I might zoom on? I don't think that would be very practical (not to mention I'd miss out on tons of random shots) yet I see some beautiful examples of what seem to be on the fly close ups on YouTube so it seems there's a method to the madness.

I admire the amount of help so many of you have given in the past. Thanks!

#2 John Reagan

John Reagan

New

• Basic Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
  • Other

Posted 01 February 2010 - 07:11 AM

"split view rangefinder"

I definitely mean Split Image focusing aid. Apologies. You guys must have incredible patience with newbies. I'm enthusiastic about this hobby and your help is very valued.

#3 Claus Harding

Claus Harding
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 65 posts
  • Other

Posted 04 February 2010 - 11:27 AM

John,

I don't know that there are any easy solutions. Personally, I do think split-image screens are the best solution for Super-8 as traditional ground glass just doesn't function too well in what are after all very small and sometimes very dim viewfinders.

However, to your question:

Short of knowing your lens and your distances very well by intuition (so you can rack the barrel by instinct) I can't think of a reliable way to have instant focus confirmation without first zooming in.

I have yet to experiment with video assist (lipstick cam or similar on the viewfinder) so I can't say if an electronic solution might be able be set in such a way as to give you that 'kick' in the image when you hit focus, much like I get on the broadcast TV cameras I use. I doubt it, but I don't know for sure.

Beyond that, a large depth of field might your savior in such situations.

Claus.

#4 John Reagan

John Reagan

New

• Basic Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
  • Other

Posted 05 February 2010 - 05:46 AM

Short of knowing your lens and your distances very well by intuition (so you can rack the barrel by instinct) I can't think of a reliable way to have instant focus confirmation without first zooming in.

Beyond that, a large depth of field might your savior in such situations.

Claus.

Claus, completely understood and I cannot thank you enough for your answer to the issue that so far has stumped me with Super 8.

You're very correct, results with a large DOF were crisp and nice. Independent of that I'll be learning my camera and hopefully upgrade to a Canon 814 XL one day. Although this Minolta, being my first, has sentimental value.

I'd been hesitant to shoot a test cart with different focal lengths but I shall, and if all else fails, a tape measure for short distances and eyeball estimates for longer ones should be something I should experiment with, although that method does seems daunting!

Apologies if I was cryptic, the lens is a 56mm f/1.4, and your answer put my mind to rest.

Thanks again!

John

FJS International, LLC

Tai Audio

CineLab

Gamma Ray Digital Inc

Ritter Battery

Willys Widgets

Paralinx LLC

Technodolly

Metropolis Post

Visual Products