Photo

Using a Builder's Laser Measure rather than a Lieca Disto?

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 Andy_Alderslade

Andy_Alderslade
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1055 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • London, UK

Posted 01 February 2010 - 11:49 AM

I was curious to see if anyone had any experience of using a Laser measure made for builders and surveyors for focus distances?

Obviously some models are as expensive as a Leica Disto, however even the very affordable ones appear to have good accuracy claims, but I was wondering if anyone had any experience with the practical issues of using these devices in a way they weren't intended?

Cheers, Andy

#2 Tom Mitchell

Tom Mitchell
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts
  • Digital Image Technician
  • uk, Norwich

Posted 03 February 2010 - 07:29 AM

I was curious to see if anyone had any experience of using a Laser measure made for builders and surveyors for focus distances?

Obviously some models are as expensive as a Leica Disto, however even the very affordable ones appear to have good accuracy claims, but I was wondering if anyone had any experience with the practical issues of using these devices in a way they weren't intended?

Cheers, Andy

Distos are worth the investment, be sure not to point the thing near the actors eyes though, i think u find the center of the chest when upright is the same distance as the eyes.

#3 Alex Wuijts

Alex Wuijts
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 181 posts
  • Cinematographer

Posted 10 March 2010 - 05:16 PM

Distos are worth the investment, be sure not to point the thing near the actors eyes though, i think u find the center of the chest when upright is the same distance as the eyes.

I've used one by Bosch which costs around a 100 British pounds which worked well in a dark studio but the laserpoint was very hard to find in daylight so I found it to be useless there.

Edited by Alex Wuijts, 10 March 2010 - 05:18 PM.

#4 Chris Keth

Chris Keth
  • Sustaining Members
  • 4427 posts
  • 1st Assistant Camera
  • Los Angeles

Posted 10 March 2010 - 11:06 PM

I've used one by Bosch which costs around a 100 British pounds which worked well in a dark studio but the laserpoint was very hard to find in daylight so I found it to be useless there.

That's par for the course with any laser tape. I tried to make a sight for mine that would help me aim it in sunlight and it pretty much failed.

#5 Marque DeWinter

Marque DeWinter
  • Sustaining Members
  • 117 posts
  • Digital Image Technician
  • New York

Posted 20 March 2010 - 08:54 AM

That's par for the course with any laser tape. I tried to make a sight for mine that would help me aim it in sunlight and it pretty much failed.

The Leica and Hilti ARE builders laser range finders....

#6 Hal Smith

Hal Smith
  • Sustaining Members
  • 2280 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • OKC area

Posted 20 March 2010 - 09:13 AM

Some of the builder's type laser tapes actually are made by Leica. I bought a Stanley branded laser tape in a US Home Depot for $99US that is made by Leica and has 1/8" resolution.

#7 Chris Keth

Chris Keth
  • Sustaining Members
  • 4427 posts
  • 1st Assistant Camera
  • Los Angeles

Posted 20 March 2010 - 11:08 AM

Some of the builder's type laser tapes actually are made by Leica. I bought a Stanley branded laser tape in a US Home Depot for $99US that is made by Leica and has 1/8" resolution.

I have the same one. The only complaint I have is that it takes a long time to register a measurement compared to the hiltis.

#8 Paulo Eduardo Uchoa

Paulo Eduardo Uchoa
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 30 posts
  • 1st Assistant Camera
  • Los Angeles CA

Posted 20 March 2010 - 10:45 PM

I have a Fluke 411D and this thing is great in my opinion. It reads super fast and and on just about any surface. It's more for in doors work, cause you can't see the laser outside and I just discovered on a shoot I did last week that a scene covered in fog throws off the measurement. But I love using it, one of my favorite things on my belt. If I could add like an eye piece for it, for outside work - this thing would be unstoppable ;)

#9 Brian Drysdale

Brian Drysdale
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5070 posts
  • Cinematographer

Posted 21 March 2010 - 05:04 AM

I was talking to a guy who surveys for damp treatment and he's gone back to using a tape measure. He discovered that he was getting some very inaccurate readings when measuring rooms with the laser. So, they could need double checking at times.

rebotnix Technologies

Technodolly

FJS International, LLC

The Slider

Abel Cine

Rig Wheels Passport

Glidecam

Opal

Metropolis Post

CineTape

Visual Products

Aerial Filmworks